Methods to promote normal growth from monstrose or cristate cacti?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Methods to promote normal growth from monstrose or cristate cacti?

Post by Mrs.Green »

I guess most people who buy a monstrose or cristate cactus want it to stay that way( monstrose or cristate), but what if you purchase a monstrose or cristate cactus in the hope of it will revert to normal growth, or at least some normal offsets? Is there any methods to promote normal growth/offsets? Are there any known external factors that will hopefully lead to at least some normal growth? Or is it pure luck if the plant ‘offers’ some normal offsets?
Last edited by Mrs.Green on Sun May 14, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttisepp

Re: Methods to promote normal growth from monstrose or cristate cacti?

Post by anttisepp »

The only recipe is time, earlier or later they spontaneously give normal growth.
Just this way I buyed some cristate and got normal plants from them when it was difficult to find somwhere normals.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:15 pm The only recipe is time, earlier or later they spontaneously give normal growth.
Just this way I buyed some cristate and got normal plants from them when it was difficult to find somwhere normals.
Thanks a lot Anttisepp! 🙂 So if I just have patience ( not my most prominent virtue..I have to admit ) there is a fair chance I will get a normal plant in the end.
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

It always seemed to me that conditions promoting etiolation also encouraged reversion in crested plants, just anecdotal though.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

RorBurg56 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:43 am It always seemed to me that conditions promoting etiolation also encouraged reversion in crested plants, just anecdotal though.
Thank you RorBurg56 ; Interesting and sounds logical, assuming that crested and monstrous growth are less ‘beneficial’ for the plants.