Hi from Gloucestershire U.K.

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Kaktüs

Hi from Gloucestershire U.K.

Post by Kaktüs »

Hi All I hope to learn a lot from the Cacti Guide and its members
Love Life
jerrytheplater

Re: Hi from Gloucestershire U.K.

Post by jerrytheplater »

Tell us about yourself and your level in the hobby. Never grown a plant? Been growing for 40 years and have 2,000 cacti? ....
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Kaktüs

Post by Kaktüs »

O.K. Jerry
Level in the hobby, I was about 7 years old when I murdered a few cacti by watering them every day. Never tried again until I was 72 years old, approx 2 months ago I purchased3 cacti from a local garden centre with a book, guess what has happened .....they are still alive and thriving, so I am getting the hang of using a small jug and allowing the pots to drain, then locking the small jug away for a month before the temptation hits me again. I now have 7 cacti and 6 non cacti succulents, all doing well. I found a small bit of a cacti lying by a pot in another garden centre and asked if I could have it, I followed instructions in my book it is now rooted and seems to be doing well. So how long have I had the hobby well...............about 62 days. I think I may need the help of all you good people on the forum to stop me murdering any more cactus.

Hope you all can help me
Barry
Love Life
Kaktüs

Post by Kaktüs »

I would also like to ID what I have especially the small bit I found, as soon as I get the hang of the forum and met a few more people on the forum I will start posting pictures of what I have.
Love Life
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Great Barry. I killed my fair share when I was young. Started back maybe 15 years ago.

Some photos of your plants would help too. Do you know what plants you have? ID really helps. You don't have to wait to post photos. Just remember there is a file size restriction of 500 KB on the forum. I use PicResize to edit mine: https://picresize.com/

Monthly watering without regard to the conditions around the plant is not a good idea. I keep mine outdoors in the late Spring through early Fall. Sometimes they might need watering weekly or even twice a week. Depends on outdoor conditions of sun, humidity, rainfall, temperature.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Kaktüs

Post by Kaktüs »

Thanks Jerry
My plants are all indoors, I do keep an eye on them and water when they need it, its just getting the hang of knowing when but I am getting there.
Thanks for the link to picresize.com What size for an avatar? I think my test pic is to small.
I will post some pics soon
Love Life
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I just checked the Avatar and it says max size is 110 pixels x 110 pixels. Pretty sure I just started reducing the photo till it was accepted. I don't remember really.

Are you fertilizing your plants? They need to eat too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome to the forum!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi from Nottingham UK.

I have been a member of the Nottingham Branch, British Cactus and Succulent Society since 1961. We all kill a few plants so don't worry about it I am still killing the odd one in winter after growing them for 62 years.

Being relatively new to the hobby you may find these articles useful. The growing year detailed is for the UK, those from elsewhere need to modify it to suit their seasons.

https://bcss.org.uk/about-our-plants/