Pediocactus simpsonii sowing

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
jerrytheplater

Re: Pediocactus simpsonii sowing

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:43 am I think my potting mix is too much mineral without anything to bind it together."

My seedlings are in 1/2 sand which is mineral but I don't know what origin probably volcanic . I collected the sand from a desert river bed which is mostly dry. New jersey a co-worker was from there isn't there a bunch of sand in the pine barrens ?
Yes, the Pine Barrens are almost pure silica sand. If I had to drive there it would be at least two hours. But, I bought "Yellow Mason Sand" at the local Garden Center. It contains some silt/clay. Its pH is about 4 if not rinsed. Rinsed, the pH is about 6.0. I suspect this sand was quarried from the Pine Barrens. One of the times I was there looking at a Carnivorous Plant Bog, I dug into the ground where the stream was passing over a shallow sandy area and saw the same sand and silt makeup.

Are you thinking I should sift some of that really fine sand/silt into my pot?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Jerry, if the seedlings are doing well I wouldn't change anything. About the sand I find some places like the desert sand works pretty good and other placed like near where I live it causes rot. Why this is I don't know. It doesn't rot Lithops just some types of cactus.
Last edited by keith on Tue May 23, 2023 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 pm Hi Jerry, if the seedlings are doing well I wouldn't change anything. About the sand I find some places like the desert sand works pretty good and other placed like near where I live it causes rot. Why this is I don't know.
As long as I don't bump the pot the plants will be OK. But my record stinks so far. I think I'll try sifting in some sand.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Well, I am embarrassed to even be typing this, but if anyone can learn from my mistakes, it will be great. I need to learn!!

So, I did sift in the sand. Maybe two weeks ago I bumped the pot again and buried all of my seedlings. I just got to the pot a few minutes ago. I put on my magnifying head piece and searched for the seedlings. I found 5. Two were totally crisp. Three were red and maybe have some life in them. I removed them all and transplanted to a small clay pot and mixed up about 50% peat moss, 25% fine sand, and 25% coarse gravel. I didn't test how well it drained. I transplanted the three seedlings that have any hope of being alive. I'll water from the bottom tomorrow. Who knows? If these survive my abuse, they are very tough plants.

After removing all of the seedlings I checked down to the bottom of the pot. That mix was 95% coarse sand and never set. The fine sand I sifted in was all at the bottom.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
keith

Post by keith »

hi Jerry,

That mix was 95% coarse sand and never set." what turn to cement ? it will turn to cement if clay is also in the mix that's adobe

I think Pediocactus like bright light and cold nights ?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:37 am hi Jerry,

That mix was 95% coarse sand and never set." what turn to cement ? it will turn to cement if clay is also in the mix that's adobe

I think Pediocactus like bright light and cold nights ?
Poor use of English on my part. I didn't mean set as into concrete/adobe. I meant just that the mix would not move when bumped. Mine just flowed and moved freely around. It was not stable. If I turned the pot over, I could pour out the mixture.

These were sown and kept outdoors under bottom heat during the day and below freezing at night. Not what I'd do for seedlings normally, but they germinated pretty quickly. That was a good tip you gave me. I still have two or three seeds I was able to pick out that didn't germinate. You've said to try them again. I'll be away next week, so I'll try and sow them starting 7/3. I'll put the pot in the refrigerator at night, around 35-40 F. Freezer is 0F, I think that's too cold.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Another update with a photo even!

I have not sown the three seeds yet. Today should be a good day to do it. Rain is forecast for most of the day.

The three seedlings I found that had any hope of life in them now seem to be only two. They do look like they are growing. I am watering them from the top and giving some of the same fertilizer my adult plants get.
rsz 2023-7-13 Pedio simpsonii.jpg
rsz 2023-7-13 Pedio simpsonii.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ