Another way to grow epiphytic cactus

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
leland

Another way to grow epiphytic cactus

Post by leland »

If you live in a frost free area, preferably over 10 degrees C, you can hang a plant in a hanging basket on a tree and with time it will grow onto the trees. This E.phyllanthus phyllanthus has rooted into a depression in the trunk marked with a red X and will likely grow all over the trunk at which time the hanging basket could be removed. I have found planting a plant directly on a trunk can work but it is a slower and riskier proposition.

This could be adapted to a house or greenhouse by putting the basket next to a dead trunk or slab of wood.

IMG_0001_1.jpg
IMG_0001_1.jpg (134.37 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
jerrytheplater

Re: Another way to grow epiphytic cactus

Post by jerrytheplater »

I just did this for my daughter in early March. She lives in Southern Florida- Pompano. She already grows Vanda orchids on the trees outside their condo. I brought her some cuttings of an Epiphyllum and found a nice clay pot for her. I got a scrap piece of pressure treated lumber and screwed it into the tree and then put the pot on the board. She just sent me a photo of the three cuttings showing signs of rooting already.
rsz 2023-4-25 Epi cuttings in FL.jpg
rsz 2023-4-25 Epi cuttings in FL.jpg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.