Parodia? with long yellow spines

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Salazar

Parodia? with long yellow spines

Post by Salazar »

Good day to all

I've been seeing this kind of cactus here for a while now. Though I'm not even entirely sure that all the plants I've seen that look like this are the same species.

This individual really caught my eye because of its much longer more yellow spination than the rest I've seen so I decided to get it.

I think it's some kind of Parodia but I'm not very familiar with the genus and I know species in that genus can look similar to one another.
IMG20230325091237~2_copy_750x729.jpg
IMG20230325091237~2_copy_750x729.jpg (157.71 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Any help is appreciated
Thanks!
Last edited by Salazar on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrXeric

Re: Parodia? with long yellow spines

Post by MrXeric »

Very nice spines! Not sure about Parodia, but maybe Coleocephalocereus aureus? Interested to see what others think.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

No, it's NOT Parodia.
But it's sometimes difficult to evaluate plant on photo online without it's sizes.
I'd search in 3 directions: Melocactus oreas/ernestii/longispinus,
Buiningia brevicylindrica/aurea
and (too small possibility) Trichocereus candicans/huascha etc.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If it is a Buiningia (Coleocephalocereus) they develop a pseudocephalium when they start to flower down one side of the stem. Some species can flower less than a foot high. This often contorts the stem a bit but that is normal for the plant and not bad growing on the owner's part. Plants do not bother about beauty contests as long as they flower and pass on their genes!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bu ... C3&first=1
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

MrXeric wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 am Very nice spines! Not sure about Parodia, but maybe Coleocephalocereus aureus? Interested to see what others think.
Thanks Mr. Xeric!

That was another species I was considering but it's not really something I would expect from a regular cactus seller. I was thinking it was a species with pretty niche appeal and I never really hear about it so I thought only specialized sellers would have it.
Last edited by Salazar on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

anttisepp wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:23 am No, it's NOT Parodia.
But it's sometimes difficult to evaluate plant on photo online without it's sizes.
I'd search in 3 directions: Melocactus oreas/ernestii/longispinus,
Buiningia brevicylindrica/aurea
and (too small possibility) Trichocereus candicans/huascha etc.
Thanks anttisepp!

This one's pretty small, it's only about 2.5 inches across and about an inch and a half tall. The longest spines are around 2.5inches.
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

DaveW wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:31 am If it is a Buiningia (Coleocephalocereus) they develop a pseudocephalium when they start to flower down one side of the stem. Some species can flower less than a foot high. This often contorts the stem a bit but that is normal for the plant and not bad growing on the owner's part. Plants do not bother about beauty contests as long as they flower and pass on their genes!

If it is one then this'll be a very good find indeed. I'd have added another cephalium forming species, well psuedocephalium in this case.
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

DaveW wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:31 am If it is a Buiningia (Coleocephalocereus) they develop a pseudocephalium when they start to flower down one side of the stem. Some species can flower less than a foot high. This often contorts the stem a bit but that is normal for the plant and not bad growing on the owner's part. Plants do not bother about beauty contests as long as they flower and pass on their genes!

Thanks DaveW!

If it is one then this'll be a very good find indeed. I'd have added another cephalium forming species, well psuedocephalium in this case.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Strangely I did get a Buiningia about 6" high starting a cephalium in a Garden Centre in the UK decades ago. It was mixed in with the usual run of cacti. Never seen another and can only think they were plants from the Continent where the grower had just cleared their staging's of all the odd plants left for a clean start as clearance to the Garden Centre trade.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Salazar wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:21 am
MrXeric wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 am Very nice spines! Not sure about Parodia, but maybe Coleocephalocereus aureus? Interested to see what others think.
Thanks Mr. Xeric!

That was another species I was considering but it's not really something I would expect from a regular cactus seller. I was thinking it was a species with pretty niche appeal and I never really hear about it so I thought only specialized sellers would have it.
You're welcome! Those are not too common around here either. I see Melocactus was also suggested. Long spined Melocactus with a cephalium would be quite striking. Which ever it is, it's a great looking plant as is!
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

MrXeric wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:03 am
Salazar wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:21 am
Thanks Mr. Xeric!

You're welcome! Those are not too common around here either. I see Melocactus was also suggested. Long spined Melocactus with a cephalium would be quite striking. Which ever it is, it's a great looking plant as is!
I actually already have a long spined Melocactus, M. ernestii I think but I'm not entirely sure I find Melocactus pretty difficult to ID. It's not as densely spined though.

I have other Melocactus species too and a few seed grown ones, still waiting which one of those will be the first to grow a cephalium.