Watering UK

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
gillinger

Watering UK

Post by gillinger »

Has anyone started watering yet in the UK? I've got most of my plants in an unheated greenhouse, where they've been under protection over winter. All but one have come through unscathed, despite some extremely cold nights (I'm on the edge of the North York Moors).
Daytime temps recently have been quite reasonable but the recent cold spell has made me wary. I started watering about mid-March last year but this year I'm not so sure.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
DaveW

Re: Watering UK

Post by DaveW »

Not started watering in my unheated greenhouse in Nottingham, UK yet. However I believe some with heated greenhouses have. I will probably start at the end of the month when hopefully the cold weather has gone, or at least there will be enough sun to warm up the greenhouse during the day to carry it through an odd cold night.

Usually the plants indicate it is time to water when new growth of spines shows in the crown. These spines are usually more colourful (often reddish at the base) and thicker being filled with water whilst actively growing, then gradually drying out and thinning from the tip when fully grown, as in this link. Note how thick and conical the new spines are compared to the older dried out thin spines below them.

https://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Di ... spines.htm

My plants go dry from mid September to end of March in UK. If plants have been brought into a warm house they may need a little water very occasionally through the winter' However many cacti need a winter rest to promote flowering. The exceptions are those from more tropical regions like Melocactus that really do not get winters. I bring some of the tender stuff into the house over winter though.
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I have a small number in the house, including a Melocactus, which I've waterd sparingly through the winter. I'll wait until the end if the month before starting up with the others, although I have noticed a couple that look like they're greening up.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Watered anything crassulaceae and most mesembs nearly a month ago, plus one or two euphorbs that were crying for thirst. The rest waits until the end of march as reports continue to threaten frost here in Scotland. Its a frustrating time as I'm actually from Kent and internally I think It should be be more than fine to go for it, then I remember where I actually live.

Edit to clarify, gh is very mildly heated and watering was pretty conservative, no hoses or anything.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Turns out I couldn't help myself, last Tuesday just had a certain feeling about it and I let instinct take over and supplied a moderate soaking. Nights have been mild since and days warm enough and even sunny, has been no issues with too much lingering humidity. Felt pretty good and I'm now itching to move the outdoor plants out of gh and the tender spoiled baby's out of the house and back into the gh.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.