Shade cloth % for seedling.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Conophytum

Shade cloth % for seedling.

Post by Conophytum »

I now use 60 percent shade cloth for specimen plants. I'm trying to sow some memsemb and cactus seeds here in socal. What percent shade cloth should I use? I'm guessing 70?
mesembs are cool
Steve Johnson

Re: Shade cloth % for seedling.

Post by Steve Johnson »

Conophytum wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:41 pm I now use 60 percent shade cloth for specimen plants. I'm trying to sow some memsemb and cactus seeds here in socal. What percent shade cloth should I use? I'm guessing 70?
After using shade cloth for years, I changed over to UV-resistant white polycarb when I took my portable greenhouses from temporary to permanent this year. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a proper seeding-growing operation, so my setup is for the grown plants I have in the collection. However, I think that white polycarb may be better than shade cloth as germinated seedlings get plenty of light without scorching when days are hot and sunny. The reason I say that is...

A few of my cacti did some seed-growing on their own. The seedlings have been in the same pot with their parent plants -- doing fine under 40% shade cloth, and even better under polycarb. IMO worth a try for you.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
keith

Post by keith »

I use 50% maybe a little more for seedlings . I use knitted shade cloth I order from Arizona Bag company because the stuff for sale local I don't like.

Lasts a long time
C And D

Post by C And D »

I use 70% for my seedling areas

Plus I have a sheet plastic film roof over it, that adds a little shade percentage

I have 40% and 50% over most of my plants
60% over the Haworthias and Conos, and I add an extra layer of screen to it in the summer

In a warm corner, I have an area with 70%, and use that for seedlings, rooting plants and recovery from repotting.

I used to live in Costa Mesa (I can't change my location profile for some reason, nor could Daiv)
It's not as warm as the City of Orange, so you may need less shade percentage than me

The real problem with shade cloth is that you need enough shade for the hottest days possible
Most the time the shade cloth is overkill

But as long as you don't get etiolation, then it's good enough, and you will get more luxuriant growth

The Shadecloth Store has a huge selection
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
DrPlantDaddy

Post by DrPlantDaddy »

C And D wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:33 pm I use 70% for my seedling areas

Plus I have a sheet plastic film roof over it, that adds a little shade percentage

I have 40% and 50% over most of my plants
60% over the Haworthias and Conos, and I add an extra layer of screen to it in the summer

In a warm corner, I have an area with 70%, and use that for seedlings, rooting plants and recovery from repotting.

I used to live in Costa Mesa (I can't change my location profile for some reason, nor could Daiv)
It's not as warm as the City of Orange, so you may need less shade percentage than me

The real problem with shade cloth is that you need enough shade for the hottest days possible
Most the time the shade cloth is overkill

But as long as you don't get etiolation, then it's good enough, and you will get more luxuriant growth

The Shadecloth Store has a huge selection
I've been looking into upgrading my shade set-up in the backyard and adding one big shade cloth over much of it. I have been debating back and forth between 40% and 50% (probably more deliberation than needed for the difference). I am curious, how much of a difference do you notice between the 40 and 50%? I've typically kept them under 30-40% but on a much smaller scale and against a fence that also protects some of the late afternoon sun. That will change with the new set-up. I want to be sure to avoid etiolation and wonder if 50% pushes that too close or not in your experience.

Of course, climate and such is quite different as I'm in Bakersfield (which has more 100+ degree days than I can count each year). But, I'd love to hear yours or other’s insights on the differences and any recommendations for me in the Central Valley. Thanks in advance!
----
Kane
C And D

Post by C And D »

You can notice a real effect with just 10% shade difference

I'm thinking 40% is most optimal, 50% for the others
and 60% still for Haworthias and summer Conos
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

My seedlings until very recently were kept under white polycarbonate but I was afraid it was too bright for them. Most of the seedlings were very red almost wine...they grow nice spination but I believe it will slow down the growth speed.
So very recently I have changed to a black shade cloth (50% perhaps). Until now I couldn't notice any difference, because the changes were made only two weeks ago and it has been cloudy and rainy here (and for this reason it looks too dark for me but maybe it is just my impression).
I will follow Craig 's statement that unless they are etiolating it is ok...lets see what happens.
7george

Post by 7george »

Everything depends on intensity of your in-obscured sunlight, indoor or outdoor setting, elevation and altitude, number of sunny or cloudy days and so on.
So maybe 60% looks OK to begin with but very soon, after first spines appear on cactus seedlings we have to gradually increase light intensity. Some redness (but not full) is OK, also there is difference between species so move or locate those needing more light ahead /up towards the sun and so until most look happy and growing.

Example: if you have some double or triple glass or plastic around seedlings and some shade trees in the yard additional shading is not needed, esp. on eastern window setup.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
keith

Post by keith »

Shade cloth calculator , handy if you double up during hottest times of the year or during bright Winter sunlight at a low angle when plants are not being watered
Attachments
Shade cloth calculator
Shade cloth calculator
shade.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 722 times