Is this rust or something else?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Mizu

Is this rust or something else?

Post by Mizu »

Hello,
I've noticed that for a couple months now there's some orange patches at the base of my cactus. It always stayed at the base and hasn't spread to other cacti. It doesn't come off if I try to scrape it off either and has not responded to the fungicide I used. (Safer's 3 in 1 garden spray ready to use, I couldn't find anything else near me unfortunately)
Attachments
20230316_092915.jpg
20230316_092915.jpg (85.68 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
20230316_092908.jpg
20230316_092908.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Canada, zone 5A
mmcavall

Re: Is this rust or something else?

Post by mmcavall »

I have the same problem here and no solution until now (not sure I its rust or some kind of mites damage)
It advances very slowly here...and yours?
Mizu

Post by Mizu »

Yes very very slowly as well.I tried scraping it off but if it comes off it's just cactus skin. It's like those spots are not coating the skin it's just the skin that turned calloused and orange.
Canada, zone 5A
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

I think you have a common problem that I've seen hundreds of times: calcium carbonate accumulation. The easiest way to prevent this build up, is to either use rain water, distilled water, or use a filter to remove all the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water.

The plants already affected will take a while to shed these crystals, but your new ones shouldn't accumulate any build up. BTW, the deposits are usually harmless, just ugly.
Mizu

Post by Mizu »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm I think you have a common problem that I've seen hundreds of times: calcium carbonate accumulation. The easiest way to prevent this build up, is to either use rain water, distilled water, or use a filter to remove all the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water.

The plants already affected will take a while to shed these crystals, but your new ones shouldn't accumulate any build up. BTW, the deposits are usually harmless, just ugly.
You think that could be it? My last jug of water was distilled water but I noticed my husband bought ozonated natural spring water this time (bottled)
Canada, zone 5A
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Here is one of my severe damaged plants.
I dont think this can be calcium carbonate accumulation. These plants takes only rain.
20220928_070518-01_copy_800x800.jpg
20220928_070518-01_copy_800x800.jpg (151.74 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
The problem occurs only in the Ferocactus (some different species), none of the other plants is affected

It starts from the base and grow very slowly. Never reached the top of the plant. It stoped for a while and the new growth of the attaked plants is healthy. But I suspect it is starting again. It is difficult to observe the advance of it if you dont take pictures to compare.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Mizu wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:29 pm Yes very very slowly as well.I tried scraping it off but if it comes off it's just cactus skin. It's like those spots are not coating the skin it's just the skin that turned calloused and orange.
Your description is perfect. I have exactly the same impression.

I suspected that it could be mite damage, I have searched for mites with a magnifying glass and saw nothing. Anyway I gave the plant a hot bath (put the plant in hot water at 55 degrees celsius for 2 minutes) in attempt to kill any bugs. After that it apparently stoped but it could be just my impression. I noticed more affected plants recently.
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

mmcavall wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:30 am
Mizu wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:29 pm Yes very very slowly as well.I tried scraping it off but if it comes off it's just cactus skin. It's like those spots are not coating the skin it's just the skin that turned calloused and orange.
Your description is perfect. I have exactly the same impression.

I suspected that it could be mite damage, I have searched for mites with a magnifying glass and saw nothing. Anyway I gave the plant a hot bath (put the plant in hot water at 55 degrees celsius for 2 minutes) in attempt to kill any bugs. After that it apparently stoped but it could be just my impression. I noticed more affected plants recently.
The photos brought to mind some prior mentions of Fusarium and Botrytis infections. A quick search of this site will bring you to the posts.

The photos do appear different; one looks like calcium depostion as Tom suggests, one appears fungal to me. The hot bath might have partially inactivated the disease, causing the slowing or stoppage.

Just my impressions, but try the search to read more.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you Minnesota, l'll search for this.
Mizu

Post by Mizu »

So mine is probably calcium deposit like Tom said. Thanks guys :)
Canada, zone 5A
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Mizu wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:59 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm I think you have a common problem that I've seen hundreds of times: calcium carbonate accumulation. The easiest way to prevent this build up, is to either use rain water, distilled water, or use a filter to remove all the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water.

You think that could be it? My last jug of water was distilled water but I noticed my husband bought ozonated natural spring water this time (bottled)
I would stay away from using spring water, as they do contain TDS. OK for drinking, but not for plant use. It also occurred to me that your soil may be the culprit. Too much fertilizer in the soil can lead to a similar condition (excessive salts and other minerals). I steer clear of packaged soil mixes, and try to re-pot into my own soil when buying potted plants.
Mizu

Post by Mizu »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:31 pm

I would stay away from using spring water, as they do contain TDS. OK for drinking, but not for plant use. It also occurred to me that your soil may be the culprit. Too much fertilizer in the soil can lead to a similar condition (excessive salts and other minerals). I steer clear of packaged soil mixes, and try to re-pot into my own soil when buying potted plants.
I'm using bonsai jack succulent mix, there's no fertilizer added to it.
Canada, zone 5A
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Mizu wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm

Their soil is of high quality but a little pricey.

One other thing you might try is adding a little vinegar to your water. It should help dissolve any mineral build up, and is usually harmless (some say beneficial).
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

mmcavall wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:24 am Here is one of my severe damaged plants.
I dont think this can be calcium carbonate accumulation. These plants takes only rain.

20220928_070518-01_copy_800x800.jpg

The problem occurs only in the Ferocactus (some different species), none of the other plants is affected

It starts from the base and grow very slowly. Never reached the top of the plant. It stoped for a while and the new growth of the attaked plants is healthy. But I suspect it is starting again. It is difficult to observe the advance of it if you dont take pictures to compare.
Holy crap... That looks exactly like what happened to a Ferocactus that one one of the first cacti I ever got! The poor thing died real fast after this started. I had no idea what happened at the time. With the wisdom of a bunch more years of cactus education and experience I figured it rotted because I was growing it in Home Depot "cactus and succulent soil" and watered it way, way to much... You know, the usual noob mistakes.

Now I'm thinking it might have been something else. 🤔
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Mizu

Post by Mizu »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:50 pm
Mizu wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm

Their soil is of high quality but a little pricey.

One other thing you might try is adding a little vinegar to your water. It should help dissolve any mineral build up, and is usually harmless (some say beneficial).
Thank your for the tip, I'll try that the next time I water it
Canada, zone 5A