Possibly rotting

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cacticacti2

Possibly rotting

Post by cacticacti2 »

:cry: I'll give the backstory
(for a ferocactus herrerae)

i knocked my small cactus over a few weeks ago and decided to repot it in a larger pot rather than in the same one.(and this is my first time having a cactus or repotting something) After a few days i looked at it and noticed the body collasping in on itself, shrivelling up and that the soil in the pot was still wet and had stayed wet for much longer than it usually did in the small pot, and was not looking like it's going to dry any time soon. So i immediately put it in dry soil in a small pot and i haven't watered it since because i'm worried that it might have started rotting inside and if i add water it might reactivate the rotting. I've been planning to just not water it and hope a dry enough environment kills off the rot that may be inside but i don't know when i can water it again or if that's enough first aid after this happened. It looks better now. It was discoloured when i found it, greyish and very sad looking. Now it's back to green but still crumpled

so my question is do i need to treat it for rot? Or should it be fine to water again? Or when can i water again? I hope someone here can know what to do because i wasn't sure how to ask google what to do in this case. Thank you
Snapchat-964125201.jpg
Snapchat-964125201.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 623 times
I'm from melbourne australia. But the summer right now has been often cold and wet
Steve Johnson

Re: Possibly rotting

Post by Steve Johnson »

See this:

viewtopic.php?t=43819

Once we know your geographical location, it'll be easier for me or another member to give you some help. Since I do know that you live in the US, I can tell you that you shouldn't water the plant at all until the growing season begins in spring. Cacti are spring/summer growers that go dormant in the fall and winter. For a lot of desert species like your Ferocactus, dormancy = no watering.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
cacticacti2

Post by cacticacti2 »

Steve Johnson wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:02 am See this:

viewtopic.php?t=43819

Once we know your geographical location, it'll be easier for me or another member to give you some help. Since I do know that you live in the US, I can tell you that you shouldn't water the plant at all until the growing season begins in spring. Cacti are spring/summer growers that go dormant in the fall and winter. For a lot of desert species like your Ferocactus, dormancy = no watering.
thank you. I'll look into the dormancy period some more. But at the moment here in australia melbourne, even though it's summer it's been mostly cold and wet so it might still count as a dormant period. Some days are hot though. And thanks for the help! I appreciate it lots. But do you think the whole year might be a dormant period for it? Because the past two years has never really had a typical spring or summer weather. Just an occasional few days that look like a normal season, and mostly back to being cold and wet
I'm from melbourne australia. But the summer right now has been often cold and wet
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

At 10 Celsius of less, cacti will go dormant. Yours aren't going to be dormant in the cool, wet summer, but will need less water than normal.

How did the roots look on that plant when you re-potted it the second time? Rotten roots turn dark, they need to be removed for any hope of saving the plant. However, if it had root rot it would be dead now, it wouldn't have greened up - withholding water won't arrest rot once it's gotten started.

After re-potting a cactus you should not water it immediately, but let the roots heal for at least a week first. Best to keep it out of direct sun during this period.
Spence :mrgreen:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

cacticacti2 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am thank you. I'll look into the dormancy period some more. But at the moment here in australia melbourne, even though it's summer it's been mostly cold and wet so it might still count as a dormant period. Some days are hot though. And thanks for the help! I appreciate it lots. But do you think the whole year might be a dormant period for it? Because the past two years has never really had a typical spring or summer weather. Just an occasional few days that look like a normal season, and mostly back to being cold and wet
And of course it never occurred to me that the price tag might be in Australian dollars! ](*,) Spence gave you the right advice. The only thing I'll add is that your potting medium may be too soil-heavy and/or rich in organic materials to dry out as it should. If that's the case, you can lean it out by adding a mineral gravel such as pumice, crushed granite poultry grit, or calcined cat litter. What this does -- provide better drainage, and better aeration for the roots to grow in.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)