Strange Saguaro

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Download

Strange Saguaro

Post by Download »

Someone shared this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/cactus/comment ... g_saguaro/

As the number of ribs seems to go down at the narrow bits I assume that this plant did not enter dormancy in winter, and therefore as the amount of light reduced it etiolate slightly. Possibly because of some genetic defect?

People's thoughts?
Tom in Tucson

Re: Strange Saguaro

Post by Tom in Tucson »

My guess: rot has invaded the central core, and the external flesh is dehydrating from lack of moisture and nutrients. A high percentage of large transplanted saguaros end up looking like this before they collapse. RIP
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:43 pm My guess: rot has invaded the central core, and the external flesh is dehydrating from lack of moisture and nutrients.
Agreed -- all of those bulges on the stem indicate a rot-induced collapse of the core.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

If you look closely its actually growing and losing ribs...

I can understand that it looks like its collapsing on its self but I think it is just gaining and losing ribs.
Download

Post by Download »

LateBloomer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:28 pm If you look closely its actually growing and losing ribs...

I can understand that it looks like its collapsing on its self but I think it is just gaining and losing ribs.
The growing and losing ribs thing is what made me think it was something other than core rot.
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Good evening dear cactus friends,
I think it is a growth disorder.
It has been going on for a very long time.
On the picture you can see some spots which suggest this conclusion.

...Image

I had photographed a similar plant a few years ago.

124550Image

124552Image

Best wishes

K.W.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.