Two new cacti (Feros???) -- and an attack on my computer

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nachtkrabb

Two new cacti (Feros???) -- and an attack on my computer

Post by nachtkrabb »

Oh well, yes, I have sworn not to bring any more cacti to my home.
But today at the DIY, they had a rack full of poor mites, each for 0.50EUR. Most of them were seriously ill or already dying.
Only a couple looked good -- and so I brought two miniature cacti with me. :oops:

The nursery is somewhere in Spain. On the backside of their packaging is a QR-code wich leads you to an internet site with all the species sold. ...aaaand another site was opened with it. Being very tired, I didn' check it at first: That was an attack on my computer!!!!
:evil: So do beware before you scan the code of plants from Sunny Days Cactus! :evil:
On the European plant passport they have the nursery number ES-14-30-3260.

That was the trouble. Now comes the fun! -- Finally. About time.
On that interesting site they have loads of pictures.
The one with the red spines should be a Ferocactus pilosus? Or what would you propose?
But the other one... In real, the spines are greyish or brown. The only picture on the sie that might (!) more or less fit was that of Fero. glaucescens. But all pictures of F.glaucescens I found show plants with yellow to white spines. Soooo... What is your guess? -- In llifle Ferocactus flavovirens looks quite similar, although they don't have "baby pictures".

Thank you for helping!
Nachtkrabb.
Red spines: Ferocactus pilosus?
Foto am 29.09.22 um 21.27 #2.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Foto am 29.09.22 um 21.27 #3.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Greyish spines: Ferocactus glaucescens...???
Foto am 29.09.22 um 21.25 #3.jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Foto am 29.09.22 um 21.26.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Do not scan this code!!!
Do not scan this code!!!
Foto am 29.09.22 um 21.43.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Download

Re: Two new cacti (Feros???) -- and an attack on my computer

Post by Download »

IDing many Ferocacti species at this size is very hard.

Taking a guess, I think the first one is Ferocactus alamosanus.

Not sure on number two, other than it not being F glaucescens. F glaucescens is very distinct, even at a young age. They normally have yellow spines with no red in them.
arturo conan

Post by arturo conan »

las espinas rojas son pintadas
Download

Post by Download »

arturo conan wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:48 pm las espinas rojas son pintadas
[translation: the red thorns are painted]

Based on what? Red spination on Ferocactus is perfectly normal.
7george

Post by 7george »

Ferocactus wislizeni is quite a possibility for at least one of these.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Thank your for your answers.

About no.1: The red spines are not artificially painted red. Las espinas rojas no están pintadas artificialmente de rojo. I am sure of that. I have seen naturally red spines as well as artificially coloured spines.

The spines of no.2 have a difficult, slightly changing colour. They are partly yellowish, partliy light-grayish, and partly brownish. A lot of them seem slightly striped. On the very newest areole still not fully developed, at the basis, the spines might be very slightly reddish, but only there.
My overall impression of the spination is a greyish brown.
No.2 has one middle spine per areole, some of wich bend slightly towards the end. It has a ring of straight outer spines, usually seven, at one areole eight. The central spine is ever so slightly thicker than the circle of outer ones. The outer spines are very straight.
Also, the spines seem to be quite short. The vendor said "Fero" and the way it grows says so, too, to me. But I become more & more insecure.
Download wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:30 am (...) F glaucescens is very distinct, even at a young age. They normally have yellow spines with no red in them.
I have not yet found a picture of a real young one where the name is sure. Here in the lexicon https://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genu ... laucescens the first picture shows a quite young plant, but much older than this one here. Its spines are relatively longer & thicker & nearly white. In fact to me its spines look like the ones on a mother-in-law-seat.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Now I will have a look at your proposals.

F. wislizeni: This Fishhook cactus has hooked, thick middle spines. Then there is a circle with a couple of straight outer spines. There is another circle of many, very thin, wiry or wavy outer spines. These seem to be "combed" to the left and to the right. A not very old plant on https://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genu ... =wislizeni already shows all three spine types; some plants seem to have quite red spines.
Soooooo.... as I could not get hold of a picture of a youth, I can't imagine no.2 to belong here. It doesn't have those wiry "spinikins" (is that a correct diminutive?).

F. alamosanus: There is a picture of a quite young specimen here on https://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genu ... alamosanus, again the first picture. The spines on the inner, newer areoles are quite red, the other ones are very light, almost white. They are also very straight.
Again I can't imagine no.2 to belong here with its slightly bended and more greyish, darker spines.

F. histrix, lindsayi, pottsi: is it possible that it is that?
Is the length of spines somewhat dependent on the surroundings (light, soil, water, ...)?
I have just seen a young F.peninsulae with only central + eight surrounding spines, while the older have additional, thinner spines, similar to the Fishhook c. So this might also come with age.

F.peninsulae: On https://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genu ... peninsulae is a quite young one. It has much longer spines, but beside that the youngster there and at my place look quite similar?

I remember that we somewhere had a discussion about how different cacti do look in early youth, as young adults and as seniors. Just like us people.
Thank you again. I am still at a loss: What do you say to these proposals? Do you know any of these as young plants?
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Download

Post by Download »

nachtkrabb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:41 pm
Download wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:30 am (...) F glaucescens is very distinct, even at a young age. They normally have yellow spines with no red in them.
I have not yet found a picture of a real young one where the name is sure. Here in the lexicon https://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genu ... laucescens the first picture shows a quite young plant, but much older than this one here. Its spines are relatively longer & thicker & nearly white. In fact to me its spines look like the ones on a mother-in-law-seat.
N.
Here is one I grew from seeds:

nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Download,
that's a beauty. Real nice. Thank you.

Well, your plant has lovely thick, long, strong & nearly white spines.
The number of spines per areole of my no.2 is similar, but the spines are darker, shorter & thinner.
Well, what a pity, no F.glaucescens, I would say.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Red Spines..
20221110_134408.jpg
20221110_134408.jpg (142.38 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

I am very grateful for all those cactus children. Usually everybody shows his big & grand plants, so that we never learn how the kids look. Isn't it amazing how different they are...?

Update:
The little cactus with the red spines didn't survive the winter. No idea why. Both had got better suitable pots & soil. But one grew, the other dwindled. Well.
The little cactus with the light spines has more than tripled its size. It adds to its number of ribs. ...aaaaaand: it is now producing definitely reddish spines. :lol:
Please have a look -- I would never assume that this is a Ferocactus glaucescens.

Thanks for your 2nd opinion. Or should I wait until it is further grown?
N.
Now growing red spines?
Now growing red spines?
50ct-IMG_1817.jpg (139.07 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

I'm 90% certain this is one of our local cactus: Ferocactus wislizeni
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Thank you very much, Tom.
Tom in Tucson wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:28 pm I'm 90% certain this is one of our local cactus: Ferocactus wislizeni
Oh wow -- your "local cactus"! :shock: How I would love to be able to say something like that to. But unfortunately I live on the "wrong" continent. 8)

Llifle writes something nice:
In habitat often this barrel-shaped cactus leans to face southward toward the equator, earning them the nickname "compass barrel cactus". Older barrels can lean so far they uproot themselves and fall over, especially after heavy rains when the soil is loose.
Also:
Life span has been reported to be from 50 to 130 years.
So with a bit of luck we can share the rest of my life. :lol: Do you have any idea how old or big they have to be for fllowering? Do I stand a chance to live to that?

Have you seen this picture on WikiCommons?

When looking at this "Top view of young Fishhook Barrel" I think F.wislizeni very plausible. Wow, I should so love that to be true.
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:35 pm Red Spines..
20221110_134408.jpg
Hallo Mike,
I like your cactus & I like your picture. Very nice.
Is this a Ferocactus pilosus?
N.

Sorry, sometimes I am a bit slow. I have Fatigue.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:50 pm Thank you very much, Tom.
Tom in Tucson wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:28 pm I'm 90% certain this is one of our local cactus: Ferocactus wislizeni
Oh wow -- your "local cactus"! :shock: How I would love to be able to say something like that to. But unfortunately I live on the "wrong" continent. 8)

Llifle writes something nice:
In habitat often this barrel-shaped cactus leans to face southward toward the equator, earning them the nickname "compass barrel cactus". Older barrels can lean so far they uproot themselves and fall over, especially after heavy rains when the soil is loose.
Also:
Life span has been reported to be from 50 to 130 years.
So with a bit of luck we can share the rest of my life. :lol: Do you have any idea how old or big they have to be for fllowering? Do I stand a chance to live to that?

They usually start blooming at around 8" diameter. Under ideal conditions that size can be acheved in 5 to 7 years from seed