Rooting cuttings

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Londoncactai22

Rooting cuttings

Post by Londoncactai22 »

Hi,

Have a question for other members about rooting - I took some cuttings early in Image the summer but having checked in on them recently they've yet to grow. Was hoping they'd do so before the winter (I live in the UK).

I've put them in dry filtered soil and water that on the odd occasion, but seems nothing's going on. Does anyone have any tips for how to get the cuttings to root now that the bottoms have caloused over?

P.S. if anyone knows what kind of plant this is would be interested to know - bought it in a farm shop in Greece about 5 years back.
Attachments
IMG_5005.jpeg
IMG_5005.jpeg (49.65 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_5006.jpeg
IMG_5006.jpeg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_5008.jpeg
IMG_5008.jpeg (119.23 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
BryanT

Re: Rooting cuttings

Post by BryanT »

Euphorbia resinifera. Sometime they took longer to root. You can try a bit of rooting hormone, it might help.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I've got a cutting of same euphorbia 2 years ago and picked it in dry cactus soil for all winter. In spring it begun to grow as normal young plant.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 pm I've got a cutting of same euphorbia 2 years ago and picked it in dry cactus soil for all winter. In spring it begun to grow as normal young plant.
Yes, I wouldn't expect it to root before next spring.
Spence :mrgreen:
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I took some cuttings just last night, I will let them callous and put them on sand. I keep them away from heat and intense light until next spring and definitely don't water cuttings which not have started to send out roots.
Maybe some other members of the forum have experimented with heat mats and artificial lighting to root cuttings in autum and/or winter...
I see you have a Euphorbia resinifera: here's an interesting article on the active substance in the sap of that particular plant: https://www.wired.com/story/resiniferatoxin/.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a