LF: Pterocactus, Weberocereus, Brachycereus, Tephrocactus, Aztekium seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
TheORKINMan

LF: Pterocactus, Weberocereus, Brachycereus, Tephrocactus, Aztekium seeds

Post by TheORKINMan »

After having some good luck growing some rare cacti from seed (Harissia fragrans, harissia simpsonii, and browningia viridis) I’m looking to try my hand at some others. Looking for any species you may have of the above genus. Also open to suggestions if you have some seeds of rare species available.
DaveW

Re: LF: Pterocactus, Weberocereus, Brachycereus, Tephrocactus, Aztekium seeds

Post by DaveW »

Afraid I can't help you being in the UK as we cannot send cuttings of Pterocactus abroad. I have plants of almost all the various species, but if you are growing them from seed you may find this free to download book on Pterocactus by Norbert Sarnes, who is the current expert on the genus, of use.

http://cactus-de-patagonia.de/wp-conten ... _SAR_E.pdf

Pterocactus and Austrocastus both coming from Patagonia do not like to get too hot in summer and like a good air circulation since it is very windy in Patagonia and most will stand down to freezing in winter.

Aztekiums like A. ritteri are probably the slowest growing cacti from seed, taking quite a few years to gain even a small size. One reason they are often grafted to push them on.
TheORKINMan

Re: LF: Pterocactus, Weberocereus, Brachycereus, Tephrocactus, Aztekium seeds

Post by TheORKINMan »

Interesting read! Thanks for the info. Yeah my little collection thrives here in subtropical Florida but the Harissia species are from here and most of the rest of the collection are Mexican/southwestern US cacti that don't mind our hot humid summers so long as the water in the pot drains fast.

Will be interesting to think about how to keep some of these southern, South American cacti happy in our brutal summers here. Might have to bring them inside