Pachypodium pruning: suggestions are welcome

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
mmcavall

Re: Pachypodium pruning: suggestions are welcome

Post by mmcavall »

Mine are going dormant now (south hemisphere). But I noticed it is not growing as fast as it was in the previous years. Maybe it's time to repot (in spring, I presume).
tasuccs

Post by tasuccs »

nachtkrabb wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:57 pm I just had a glimps at llifle: http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCC ... ucculentum
According to that, our both flowers are untypical. Maybe we have hybrids?
Oops! Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but mine is a bispinosum. Since by all accounts they're very similar in habit and care, I forgot that their flowers are quite different. Mine has very typical flowers for bispinosum. Yours looks like a white morph of succulentum - according that article it's certainly possible but rare. So congrats to you too - really beautiful!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Tasuccs,

thanks for the information: I had two old P.bispinosum for exactly 9years, then they somehow died, no idea why. They bloomed just as yours beautifully Magnolia-coloured.

A "white morph of succulentum"? :shock: Wow! Never heard of something like that. 8)
So I will tell my plant it's a rarity and should be proud on its achievemnts. =D>

Sorry I reply one month later -- I am not that healthy & often need my time.
Nachtkrabb

PS: In German we say as a joke, when you achieve something special or perform especially with some nonsense or other: Put on your tie and stand up with it in your bed tonight. I always like that picture. :D
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi mmcavall,
sorry for the late answer: Yes, very early spring seems to be a good time for repotting. I prefer the time when you think the plants thinks about growing new leaves.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

nachtkrabb wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:52 pm Hi mmcavall,
sorry for the late answer: Yes, very early spring seems to be a good time for repotting. I prefer the time when you think the plants thinks about growing new leaves.
N.
Cool , thank you!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Another thing about Pachies: I have two, P. succulentum & the inevitable P. lamerei. Both love their summer vacation on the balcony.
But both seem to habe a sun problem: This year, I pack the caudex of P.succ. into tinfoil (and unpack it whenever it rains until everything is dry again). The last years there was a big sunburn developing into a kind of cavity.
P.lam. has a stretch of sunburn on the oldest part of the stem, although not on the "newer" parts -- newer being grown during the last maybe 12years -- the plant is 24years old. It has a next to buried caudex and I always lay nomething upon that during summer to prevent damage. The first years I didn't dare to bring him out during summer, but since I do, he is really growing.

Do you know these problems about sunburns, too?
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi nachtkrabb
My P. lamerei is planted in my frontyard under full sun. I never noticed any sunburn problem. I'll take a look in search of sunburns and come back here.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Thank you, mmcavall.
What a luxury -- a Pachy in the yard! Wow! Here we have much too cold winters, expecially cold plus wet. I can only dream of your yard. :-)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

nachtkrabb wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:48 pm Thank you, mmcavall.
What a luxury -- a Pachy in the yard! Wow! Here we have much too cold winters, expecially cold plus wet. I can only dream of your yard. :-)
Haha Nothing special. Just a few Aloes and these Pachys. Some cacti of course but they are not very well to tell you the truth. Some pictures soon...