Did I get sold a dud? Cacti with no root system

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Hero878

Did I get sold a dud? Cacti with no root system

Post by Hero878 »

I bought this Melocactus Behiensis on eBay and just received it today however the root system seems badly damaged. Not sure if it'll be ok or not. What do you think based on these photos?
Any advice is much appreciated thanks
Image Image Image Image
Steve Johnson

Re: Did I get sold a dud? Cacti with no root system

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'm afraid that you did get a dud -- the roots are gone, and trying to re-root an adult Melo? Highly doubtful. Contact the seller and A. get your money back, then B. post a scathing review on eBay. Sellers like that have no business staying in business.

By the way, please see this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=43819

Hard for us to help members if we don't know where they live.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thank you that is such a shame as I really liked it. It's small yet already had a well developed cephalium.
The seller sells a lot of cacti such a shame he would do this. Messaged him and waiting for his response, hope he has a good explanation!

Also just updated my profile with my location.
Thanks again

Update:
The ebay seller just replied asking me to return the item for a full refund. Seems he alknowledges that root system is gone yet says nothing about why he still sold it to me.
His explanation was "Unfortunately since Brexit all plants coming from Europe are trimmed for customs"...not sure what to make of that.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Hero878 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:56 pm His explanation was "Unfortunately since Brexit all plants coming from Europe are trimmed for customs"...not sure what to make of that.
There are more doing this. I try to understand exactly why. Yes, because of any bugs that might hide in there, so customs want this. But then you need to cut off the roots for any other plant you send around too. I don't know how many plants can stay alive after the roots are gone and can regrow the roots. Maybe there aren't that many around? For some plants it is mainly the roots that need to stay, and you can cut off the foliage that can regrow from the rhizomes, like for many of the carnivorous plants.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Interesting response from Aiko, and I'd like to know why Brexit customs regulations have anything to do with suddenly needing to trim roots that didn't need trimming before Brexit was implemented. Not the only reason why I seriously despair of what's going on in the U.K.
Hero878 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:56 pmHis explanation was "Unfortunately since Brexit all plants coming from Europe are trimmed for customs"...not sure what to make of that.
If that's a legitimate requirement, once again tell the seller that he has no business selling cacti to the U.K.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Hero878,
I do work here in the U.S.A. for the Department of Agriculture and am still tasked with CITES issues. CITES stands for the Convention on International Trade in Endangerd Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. The import requirements for cacti - which almost all do fall into that category - will not allow the plant to be shipped with soil. However, I have processed bare-rooted plants, where the roots had been thoroughly cleaned. So, I do not see any reason, to completely remove the roots, unless your home country were to insist on it.
On the other hand, you could import nematodes, especially of the genus Meloidogyne along with what otherwise are "clean" roots. There are also other nematode genera, which could be established in a plant's roots.
I once dug up one of my Coryphantha plants and noticed the bulges on several of its roots. I suspected an infestation of the root-knot nematode and removed those roots showing the thickened areas. Sure enough, I did locate the adult female nematodes, embedded in the root tissue. I did photograph some of them and both the damage caused by the Meloidogyne nematode and the animal can be viewed on this blog under the headline "Some fungal Diseases" at the top of this thread.

Harald
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

The ‘roots’ on Hero878’s Melo looks quite like my Melo ( also with a ceph.) .I on the other hand bought the Melo from a garden senter. The roots looked as they had been cut off with a knife and there were only very short stumps left. First cactus I have bought with visibly cut off roots. I tried my best with the Melo, but it never regrowed any roots.
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thanks for all the further replies. Yeah I see no reason why because of Brexit they need to cut the roots, simply washing them is fine. As a bonus I noticed several mealy bugs on this cactus even with the root system gone.

Mrs Green: Interesting to hear the Melocactus you got from a garden centre also how no root system. Which kind of backs this sellers explanation.

Tbh mine looks very rotten at the base, I would not be surprised if it is rotting inside too.

Perhaps grafting it is an option too? But I would a very large stock plant.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

For grafting I would suggest using a large Trichocereus species.