Lanky overgrown copiapoa humilis

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
tasuccs

Lanky overgrown copiapoa humilis

Post by tasuccs »

I was at a big nursery recently that has great selection and value but tends to be sloppy - and couldn't resist what appeared to be a (relatively) huge Copiapoa humilis (pictured below in a 12cm pot- you can't see the distinctive flower and black farina).

On further inspection at home it appears to be planted too shallow and most of its older growth looks elongated, and it seems generally oversized and tall for the species. However it seemed happy enough that it was flowering and loaded with buds.

Any recommendations for how I might rejuvenate this guy and give him a more natural appearance? Is it worth raising the soil line, or am I better off making a cutting out of the top half of the stem? Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

7george

Re: Lanky overgrown copiapoa humilis

Post by 7george »

I'd move it closer to the window. Yes, it has to be more compact and maybe clumped at some point.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
tasuccs

Post by tasuccs »

Hi 7george, thanks for your answer. Yes, I think it was a bit too dark in the greenhouse - it's actually outdoors now with full morning sun, the glass in the photo is a balcony railing. But that will only help with future growth, right? I'm debating whether to bury it deeper or root the top as a new cutting.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

tasuccs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:03 pmI'm debating whether to bury it deeper or root the top as a new cutting.
Copiapoas are very slow growers, so I'm not sure if a cutting would root easily. Summer isn't the best time anyway -- if you want to go for it, I'd recommend that you do the chop-chop early next spring so that the cutting has as much growing season as possible to start rooting.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Burying cacti deeper than they originally grew is generally a bad idea - holds moisture around the neck of the cactus, which can lead to rot. Roots don't grow upward very readily, either.
Spence :mrgreen:
tasuccs

Post by tasuccs »

Thanks Steve and greenknight, good points. I guess I'll stick to some chunky lava rock top dressing for now to keep things steady and consider the chop chop as she wakes up for spring.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

tasuccs wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 pm Thanks Steve and greenknight, good points. I guess I'll stick to some chunky lava rock top dressing for now to keep things steady and consider the chop chop as she wakes up for spring.
You're welcome! If you don't have any experience with trying to root cuttings (or doing it successfully), the Cuttings and Offsets forum may give you some good ideas on what to prepare for next spring. If you get to that point and need some specific guidance, start a thread there and be sure to include photos of the plant before you commit to anything that could be a mistake.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
tasuccs

Post by tasuccs »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:43 pm the Cuttings and Offsets forum may give you some good ideas on what to prepare for next spring. If you get to that point and need some specific guidance, start a thread there and be sure to include photos of the plant before you commit to anything that could be a mistake.
I'll definitely do that, thanks again!