Front yard Cactus garden

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Front yard Cactus garden

Post by Steve-0 »

Here's a recent cactus project. While moving my outdoor overwintered cacti from the backyard raised bed to the front, I thought the porch was looking crowded and needed a better solution.

So I asked my wife if creating a cactus garden was okay. Got the nod and went at it. First I dug up and transplanted a bunch of existing plants, then shoveled 500 kilos of gravel into the alloted space and laid out my cactus then dug them in.

This pic is a few weeks later. Still a work in progress. But those in ground will stay in ground.
Attachments
cactus garden.jpg
cactus garden.jpg (140.69 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Vingames1

Re: Front yard Cactus garden

Post by Vingames1 »

Looks good 👍
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Great view! :thumbright:
PS put a pair of red LED lights in a skull :D
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Looking good so far!
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

what will you do to protect the cacti from cold snaps or torrential rain ?
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

madkactus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:17 am what will you do to protect the cacti from cold snaps or torrential rain ?
These are all Utah natives. I'm going to be their step caretaker after Mother Nature. Today was that 'torrential rain'...next ten days dry and moving up into the high 70's. We'll see how they fare . The Echino. Coccineus has plumped up happily as have the Opuntia polyacantha. This is a South facing plot of my front yard which over ten years ago fried a Japanese maple . I had 130+F degrees in these same cacti's pots last summer during a heat wave. All survived. How the roots didn't boil is beyond me.
Attachments
hot.jpg
hot.jpg (150.18 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
hot2.jpg
hot2.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
hot3.jpg
hot3.jpg (165.72 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 am Great view! :thumbright:
PS put a pair of red LED lights in a skull :D
Great idea! I happen to have some. During Halloween week this fall for sure. But I could test drive that idea this evening, methinks
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

The idea was gestating and the process began. A friend gave me two Agave parryii. This Echinocereus coccineus has been in the same pot for nearly ten years ...and always outdoors throughout those years. A hard life for sure.
Attachments
the idea.jpg
the idea.jpg (170.05 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
AgaveP.jpg
AgaveP.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
E.cocc.jpg
E.cocc.jpg (165.71 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Pics from moments ago.
Attachments
ec.jpg
ec.jpg (149.07 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
bison.jpg
bison.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
color2.jpg
color2.jpg (125.31 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
color.jpg
color.jpg (127.36 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Steve-0 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:05 am
madkactus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:17 am what will you do to protect the cacti from cold snaps or torrential rain ?
These are all Utah natives. I'm going to be their step caretaker after Mother Nature. Today was that 'torrential rain'...next ten days dry and moving up into the high 70's. We'll see how they fare . The Echino. Coccineus has plumped up happily as have the Opuntia polyacantha. This is a South facing plot of my front yard which over ten years ago fried a Japanese maple . I had 130+F degrees in these same cacti's pots last summer during a heat wave. All survived. How the roots didn't boil is beyond me.
Very nice collection. Yeah, as we all know but perhaps sometimes forget, cacti can take care of themselves. In nature there is nobody to fuss over them and they thrive and do well on their own. :thumbright:
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

[/quote]

Very nice collection. Yeah, as we all know but perhaps sometimes forget, cacti can take care of themselves. In nature there is nobody to fuss over them and they thrive and do well on their own. :thumbright:
[/quote]

My wife reminds me of that very thing....frequently. And when I'm out in the front yard....she says " out communing with the cactus?"...And I of course agree quickly.
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Last year our summer weather turned the heat up a few notches and during our October vacation trip to Capitol Reef National Park we noticed the difference from the normal late summer dry environment and that current baked earth. The whole state was baked to a crispy, crackly, crunchy tinderbox.

Yeah we had fires, too. But what didn't burn had already been burned by the sun. Even the cacti were cooked. The Scleros took it hardest followed by Opuntia and the Escobaria fared the best. Lots of dried out husks of spines in the shape of a small barrel cactus. Sad. I posted about those in the cacti places sub forum. Right now we're getting a better amount of precip than last year in the snow pack and spring rains...but the forecasters say "not enough". We're in a mega drought and possibly a harbinger of our desert west's future.

The new normal will be no more lawn watering, go xeriscape, rationing and a very slow reversal of human migration out of the desert states. Not fast enough of human egress looking at the current rate of growth, but I predict an eventual reality when the water is all gone. The "water wars" have been brewing for decades. Now science is starting to acknowledge the reality of "perhaps we're too late". The Colorado River feeds 7 states all vying for their share. Las Vegas is the litmus test, IMO. No amount of money thrown at it will bring back the aquifers and Lake Mead. They just tossed $800 million in the latest "straw" to suck more water out of Lake Mead. pffft! Wrong approach, IMO.

Okay off the desert sandpile and back to cactus care and cultivation.
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

A few of my in ground cacti blooming.
Attachments
cg1.jpg
cg1.jpg (139.39 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
cg2.jpg
cg2.jpg (131.07 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
cg3.jpg
cg3.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 2043 times