Mesh pots?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
tasuccs

Mesh pots?

Post by tasuccs »

I recently saw something I hadn't come across before and seems new on the market - small square "mesh pots" with mostly solid walls and minimal air pruning strips around the sides. Most air pots and growbags are way too porous for most succulents, but these seem to have potential for providing the same benefits without excessive moisture and substrate loss and are cheap and pretty attractive to boot. Anyone have experience with them?

keith

Re: Mesh pots?

Post by keith »

I don't like white pots because they grow green algae on the inside pot walls. The general idea might be pretty clever ?
7george

Post by 7george »

Nordic style -- maybe these are not good for hot countries? Also if roots get out of wholes you should trim those for re-potting.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
tasuccs

Post by tasuccs »

keith wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:38 am I don't like white pots because they grow green algae on the inside pot walls. The general idea might be pretty clever ?
Good to know! I always wondered why they aren't more common, and come to think of it, all the white plastic nursery pots I have sitting around aren't white on the inside. These come in black, but where I live the sunlight is too intense for black IMO, and they don't look so nice either.
tasuccs

Post by tasuccs »

7george wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:18 pm Nordic style -- maybe these are not good for hot countries? Also if roots get out of wholes you should trim those for re-potting.
"Nordic" seems to be slapped onto any product on Ali Express with "minimalist" design and light or earth colors. But in any case these do seem like they'd be more water hungry.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Mesh pots really aren't new - i remember learning about them when I took Master Gardener training 30+ years ago. The idea was to save labor in seedling production - the roots were "air pruned", thus no root pruning was needed at transplanting. Don't know if that works with succulents, though.

This particular design may be new, though. It's not a fully mesh pot, so it won't dry out as quickly. The ridges might help redirect circling roots, I suppose. It would be interesting to experiment with them.
Spence :mrgreen: