Whats wrong with this Lophophora pup?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
LawyerNinja

Whats wrong with this Lophophora pup?

Post by LawyerNinja »

I've already cut the pup off with a sterilized tool and applied sulphur powder to both.

Wondering what happened here?

Located in a grow tent, Pere that the mother plant is grafted to was left dry for a couple days longer than usual. Other than that the light cycle is 16/8. Any ideas?

The_Nikon_Guy

Re: Whats wrong with this Lophophora pup?

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

It looks like a possible insect attack - perhaps spider mite? Try swabbing the area with some rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits (I use the latter) and observe for a couple of weeks
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
LawyerNinja

Post by LawyerNinja »

The_Nikon_Guy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:26 pm It looks like a possible insect attack - perhaps spider mite? Try swabbing the area with some rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits (I use the latter) and observe for a couple of weeks
No other plants are affected. It is strange, no other parts of the graft or any of my cacti have signs of mite damage.

I treat with a systematic insecticide for Mealys and Mites before I bring them in for the winter.
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

I see - unfortunately I'm out of ideas on this one - sorry mate.
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I've had these orange patches on seedling before, like spread out over several, and a small winged bug hanging around there, sitting on the seedlings. No idea if this really was connected, but saw it more than once, and only on those specific seedlings....Either the bug is doing something there, or it's actually feeding on something else, like mites. Seedlings have scars, but seem to OK.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Jangaudi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:35 am I've had these orange patches on seedling before, like spread out over several, and a small winged bug hanging around there, sitting on the seedlings. No idea if this really was connected, but saw it more than once, and only on those specific seedlings....Either the bug is doing something there, or it's actually feeding on something else, like mites. Seedlings have scars, but seem to OK.
That sounds like sciarid fly. Bad news for seedlings, especially their larvae.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am
That sounds like sciarid fly. Bad news for seedlings, especially their larvae.
ah, sciarid fly is what they call fungus gnats it seems, but I know those, I think what I spotted was a little larger than that. But yes, sciarid flies are a menace to seedlings, also been battling with them. What I do now is cover those young seedlings that are open to the air with a very fine mesh. It's the only way to keep them and other bugs out.
LawyerNinja

Post by LawyerNinja »

Turned out orange rot was the culprit here.

After I cut the pup off, I checked the plant a few days after and noticed a slight orange rot starting around the graft base.

Ended up de-grafting the entire plant.
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

Thanks for the update and good luck!