Instagram accounts

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Caudexguy99

Instagram accounts

Post by Caudexguy99 »

I decided to make an Instagram account because it seems like a more active community. That being said, anyone have some good cacti n succulent accounts recommended to follow? Preferably people who post their own plants n growing or habitat shots and NOT the people who are peddling shirts, stickers, or whatever (Instagram sure loves to recommended these accounts :roll: )
DaveW

Re: Instagram accounts

Post by DaveW »

I have never been on Social Media, but there are some habitat shots of a trip of mine to Chile in 2015, plus similar Travelogues by others here:-

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewforum.php ... 750ff1d112

I believe the British Cactus & Succulent Society has a Facebook page and other cactus societies may too?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/434020283466998/
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Caudexguy99 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:43 am I decided to make an Instagram account because it seems like a more active community. That being said, anyone have some good cacti n succulent accounts recommended to follow? Preferably people who post their own plants n growing or habitat shots and NOT the people who are peddling shirts, stickers, or whatever (Instagram sure loves to recommended these accounts :roll: )
can you share the name of your account here, so we can find you there?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Caudexguy99 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:43 am (Instagram sure loves to recommended these accounts :roll: )
Souds like another good reason to steer away from Instagram and other social networks. They are there to make money, not so much to provide an honest service. It's all about pushing commercial advertisements (open or hidden). An honest service and very likely more informative and less narcistic would be a forum like this.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The Mammillaria Society also has a Facebook page:-

https://www.facebook.com/mammillariasociety/

By the way Instagram and WhatsApp are are actually owned by Facebook so no doubt your details are shared between them all.

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-owns ... 20concerns
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

European Union's digital privacy laws are far stricter than those in the US, therefore "Big Brother" may soon be watching Brits on Social Media when we come out of the EU:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... rules.html
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

My activity level comes an goes on instagram, but my account is arizonasuccs. I do not sell things, only post photos I have taken myself.
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

I also avoid social media, but I did create an Instagram account a few months ago to share occasional garden pictures with friends and family, and I will say that has been nice. @cactimostly if anyone is interested.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Same here...not much interest in that kind of social media. Whereas it begs the rhetorical question....isn't Cactiguide.com a form of social media?

I mean aren't we all a bunch of xerophiles/cactophiles or whatever term describes us...participating on a social platform/forum... sharing, discussing, learning and all that online?

But yeah....I get it... TikTok?....this is definitely not THAT!

My FB account alerted me some years ago that I had updated my avatar image...I think it was Dec. 2011. changed out one fish picture for another fish picture. I fish a lot and needed an FB account to access One Alaskan Island Charter fishing's FB account. Otherwise, not active...unfriended everyone.

My "Insta" as the hipsters say...so I'm told... got snide remarks on my images/posts from extended family members. Like " that would be so cool if you didn't have that one thing in the image" That was enough for me to quit. I prefer to spend my "free" time elsewhere.

There are some pretty cool cactus Instagram accounts in Japan, the Arab world, Mexico and S. America where I can visit online and won't ever be physically traveling there. So I feel it has a usefulness for me at times.

And I get enough screen time through work...plus seeing the entire planet staring at their handheld devices 24/7....sad...how fast that happened.

Pedestrian deaths in the USA went up 11% two years running recently...the studies for causation were inconclusive....ya think?

OKAY...off the iPhone shipping carton now. lol
Last edited by Steve-0 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I think the traditional forums, which exist a long time already are sort of less crowded these days, but I think in general people behave better now. It's too old school for many kids to use anymore, and I'm not complaining ;) At least it takes a bit of effort to do something here, and so you get more dedication and less trolling.
7george

Post by 7george »

Caudexguy99 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:43 am I decided to make an Instagram account because it seems like a more active community. That being said, anyone have some good cacti n succulent accounts recommended to follow? Preferably people who post their own plants n growing or habitat shots and NOT the people who are peddling shirts, stickers, or whatever (Instagram sure loves to recommended these accounts :roll: )
And what do you expect to see different from our blogs here in these accounts? I have an Instagram account but not a single post from it though...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

:-k Old lefty wanted to ‘stir the pot’ a bit, I have to disagree with the majority of posts here. I visit the instagram site occasionally and mostly follow accounts associated with cacti/succulent info to share. There is a ‘search’ engine where you enter a hashtag(#) followed by a specific name,example #saguaro #echinocactus etc. this will take you to many photos of the species that you wish to view, all shared by people who took the photos originally.
In turn, above that photo is the account owners ‘screen’ name. From there, if you prefer, you are able to view other photos ‘shared’ by this specific person.
It may take some time before you become accustom to the procedure, but with some patience I am sure you will enjoy the shared photos that are available.
Cheers and happy holidays!
TimN

Post by TimN »

I started on "Insta" (am I cool yet?) a while back. As far as I know I'm @cactusthehut. I post pictures because I can do it from my phone. I'm pretty neutral on it and generally negative on social media in general. It's different, but it doesn't have the same interactive dialog we get here.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim