Ferocactus colour change

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
gillinger

Ferocactus colour change

Post by gillinger »

Help please! What's happening to my F. latispinus? The colour has has been leaching away from a heakthy dark to a sickly light green. Is this a sunburn problem? I've only just put my plants outside but they've been kept on a window sill in full sun for quite a while.
Attachments
fero1.jpg
fero1.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
fero2.jpg
fero2.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
hegar

Re: Ferocactus colour change

Post by hegar »

In my opinion, you are correct with the tentative diagnosis of sun damage. It is, however, still a mild one and the plant may adjust to the change in light intensity. Is the discoloration most prevalent on the south-west side of the cactus?

Harald
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

It appears to be all the way around. I'll keep it in the shade for a few days to see if it improves. Is this just a Fero thing? None of my other plants are having this problem.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

I have a ferocactus hamatacanthus, too much sun just made it red. Shade made them darken up to green again.
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Ferocacti are very sensible to sunburn. I always use garden fabric for shading to prevent damage in the spring when all collection move from garage to greenhouse.
PS are you shure yours one is latispinus? Probably not, something like herrerae?
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

Shade it is, then for both of my Feros. Many thanks. Antisepp, it was labelled latispinus when I bought it from a kosher cactus centre here in the UK. I'll do some research.
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

After a day in the shade my Fero is looking much happier. I'm so glad it doesn't seem to be permanent. Only one decent day left this week, though. Weather forecast looking a bit miserable in these parts.
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

Agreed about sunburn. I am by no means an expert but for me the #1 genus that sunburns easily (when plants are smaller) is Ferocactus.