Two columnars I can't figure....

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Dixie Chicken

Two columnars I can't figure....

Post by Dixie Chicken »

I have two columnar cactus that I've owned for a few years that I can't solidify an ID on and am hoping someone will have some suggestions.

The first came labelled as Lemaireocereus chende. I believe it should be a Pilosocereus now and I also understand they are a bit unusual in collections. Since I purchased it from a major discount chain, I'm not too hopeful that is correctly labelled. From all descriptions I've read it seems that my plant's spines are not correct, although the rib count is within range, the color seems appropriate and it even curves slightly! But the spines seem way too long. Any help would be appreciated.

Image Lemaireocereus chende?

The second had been tentatively ID'd as Pilosocereus pachycladus, but I have another plant that seems correctly ID'd as that, that has flowered at 1/2 the size and the flower seems to match up correctly to Pilosocereus pachycladus. Also, the unknown plant has very few, fairly long hairs, while the Pilosocereus pachycladus has a whole headful of short shiny hairs at the areoles, which the flower buds erupt from. Again, any help sorting these plants out would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks, Carol

Image Pilosocereus ? Currently 55" tall

ImagePilosocereus ?

This is the one I'm 97% certain of ID.

Image Pilosocereus pachycladus. Currently 27" tall

Image Pilosocereus pachycladus.

Image Pilosocereus pachycladus. Flowering this Spring
May you never be spineless!

Carol
eduart

Re: Two columnars I can't figure....

Post by eduart »

Hi Carol,

I guess the second one isn't a P. pachycladus, but is it awfully hard to find a correct plant in columnar cacti... maybe have a look into Columnar Cacti:

http://www.columnar-cacti.org/pilosocereus/page1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea about the first one.

Cheers,
Eduart
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

First one sure looks like Polaskia chende to me. :-k
Neal
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Dixie Chicken wrote:I have two columnar cactus that I've owned for a few years that I can't solidify an ID on and am hoping someone will have some suggestions.

The first came labelled as Lemaireocereus chende. I believe it should be a Pilosocereus now and I also understand they are a bit unusual in collections. Since I purchased it from a major discount chain, I'm not too hopeful that is correctly labelled. From all descriptions I've read it seems that my plant's spines are not correct, although the rib count is within range, the color seems appropriate and it even curves slightly! But the spines seem way too long. Any help would be appreciated.

I also disagree with the ID and happen to have the same plant labeled as Lemairocereus chende.

This could be Escontria chiotilla, since it resembles the description and pictures of it. I'm assuming you purchased yours at a big box store, and the major wholesaler that supplies them also has E. chiotilla listed as a plant they grow in their plant library.