Commercial grafting!

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
XP_2600

Commercial grafting!

Post by XP_2600 »

I wonder how the commercial production for grafted cactus going on ? (the most famous ones are the Gymnocalycium mihanovichii on heliocereus)
I find the stock looks fresh and young, while the scion looks old enough and attached well, do they let the stock root then graft? or take cuttings, graft them and let they root ?
XP_2600
snarfie

Re: Commercial grafting!

Post by snarfie »

I would think they do both at the same time, as it makes for faster production.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
piyeron

Post by piyeron »

I think they root the Hylocereus stocks first, as the take rate using non-rooted specimens may be low. The stocks look fresh and young as they are normally grown inside tunnelhouses/greenhouses and given a lot of fertilizer and water. They have specialized techniques on how to use Hylocereus as stock, you can glean some information from this site:
http://www.kadasgarden.com/grafting5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP_2600

Post by XP_2600 »

Thanks so much for the useful link.
XP_2600
Carl_B

Post by Carl_B »

piyeron wrote:I think they root the Hylocereus stocks first, as the take rate using non-rooted specimens may be low. The stocks look fresh and young as they are normally grown inside tunnelhouses/greenhouses and given a lot of fertilizer and water. They have specialized techniques on how to use Hylocereus as stock, you can glean some information from this site:
http://www.kadasgarden.com/grafting5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen the "Lollipop" type coloured Gymocalyciums grafted to unrooted Hylocereus which they sell in bundles from China via alibaba or other wholesale website