scared

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CactiNoob89

scared

Post by CactiNoob89 »

Hey everybody. i have a spider that is hanging out on my euphorbia is it ok if he hangs out on it? im scared he is gonna come bite me when i sleep cause i tried getting him when he was on the wall earlier. (plant is by my bed) any ideas how i can get him off and kill him without damaging the plant. (i use a blow gun to dispatch spiders normally so i dont want to shoot a needle in the plant)
Steve Johnson

Re: scared

Post by Steve Johnson »

CactiNoob89 wrote:Hey everybody. i have a spider that is hanging out on my euphorbia is it ok if he hangs out on it? im scared he is gonna come bite me when i sleep cause i tried getting him when he was on the wall earlier. (plant is by my bed) any ideas how i can get him off and kill him without damaging the plant. (i use a blow gun to dispatch spiders normally so i dont want to shoot a needle in the plant)
The only spiders you should be worried about aren't the ones that go around announcing their presence in plain sight. The spider on your Euphorbia is one of the good guys, and it certainly won't bite you. Instead of killing spiders, you might want to consider the fact that they're beneficial and will go after insect pests, not humans.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If the plant is by your bed wait until it gets on to the Euphorbia then put the plant in another room, or outside for the summer where the rain will wash it off!
CactiNoob89

Post by CactiNoob89 »

Steve Johnson wrote:
CactiNoob89 wrote:Hey everybody. i have a spider that is hanging out on my euphorbia is it ok if he hangs out on it? im scared he is gonna come bite me when i sleep cause i tried getting him when he was on the wall earlier. (plant is by my bed) any ideas how i can get him off and kill him without damaging the plant. (i use a blow gun to dispatch spiders normally so i dont want to shoot a needle in the plant)
The only spiders you should be worried about aren't the ones that go around announcing their presence in plain sight. The spider on your Euphorbia is one of the good guys, and it certainly won't bite you. Instead of killing spiders, you might want to consider the fact that they're beneficial and will go after insect pests, not humans.
lol not worried it would kill me or anything. i already have like a million spiders outside my house cause of our outdoor bonanza of plants so i dont like them inside. and lol i have been getting spider bites when ive been sleeping recently so im guessing it was him cruising my bed at night. just thought he would especially attack me after i tried to kill him. woke up though and he was still on the same spot as when i went to bed. he finally moved off of it just a little bit ago so i could get rid of him lol. didnt know how to get him to leave if he just hung out on the plant forever. thanks though sorry if it was a lame question.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

CactiNoob89 wrote:.......... sorry if it was a lame question.
I don't think it was a lame question at all and I sympathize with you. I have survived three wars and in my youth imagined myself to be a "manly man" - but I am still scared of spiders.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
CactiNoob89

Post by CactiNoob89 »

jp29 wrote:
CactiNoob89 wrote:.......... sorry if it was a lame question.
I don't think it was a lame question at all and I sympathize with you. I have survived three wars and in my youth imagined myself to be a "manly man" - but I am still scared of spiders.
lol thanks. i saw this comedian once talk about if you try to kill them and miss they will stalk you and get you when you are sleeping. ever since in the back of my mind it makes sense. i mean if someone tried to kill you and you could sneak up on them and get them back you probably would. then it seemed real convenient that i missed killing him earlier then there he was staring at me in my bed that night from my plant.
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

"Revenge is a dish best served cold."
Klingon, mafia, Pashtun, spider, it's the same everywhere!
I couldn't rest with it in my room once I'd missed my first chance.
I'm in the 'move the plant out of the room' camp on this one.
Tony

Post by Tony »

My wife is terrified of spiders and has passed this fear on to my son.
NO ONE sleeps in my house until all spiders are safely outside :P .
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I like spiders. Especially those cute jumping ones I see in my greenhouse all the time! If I get my finger near, I can see them walk backwards trying to get away. Or sometimes jump away a bit, hopping like a bunny.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah I like the jumping ones. Like this...
Attachments
20140614_121906.jpg
20140614_121906.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
C And D

Post by C And D »

I like those jumping ones too, they chase down fungus gnats, and chow down on mealies and spider mites.

We had a small invasion of baby ones last month, they were coming in my bathroom somehow, so I had to kill a few, but I'm sure there are plenty enough left to keep the place pest free.

All the small ones are brown, and we rarely see big ones, but when we do, they are black and white, so I guess they transform into the black mode once they get big enough.
IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

We get 3 different species in my garden. Those black and white zebra jumpers, brown fence post jumpers and then these little tiny ones Euophrys frontalis, they are my favorite.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND