M. hernandezii -- more flowers!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

M. hernandezii -- more flowers!

Post by Steve Johnson »

When I saw my Mammillaria hernandezii's first flowers last weekend, I was hoping they might last long enough to be joined by another one yesterday. Unfortunately no -- the timing was off by just a day or so. Here's the view yesterday, as round 2 was getting ready to open:

Not quite there yet, although it was interesting to see how the first flowers spent themselves. We're all used to witnessing the usual process that ends with petals folded up and dried out, followed by fruits if there's pollination involved. Here the petals are folding in over the "fun bits" as they wither. This is a good question for you Mamm hernandezii experts out there -- is the species self-fertile? If so, then mine is being up to its cryptocarpic self as it adds to the seed inventory hiding inside the stem. If not, I'll simply enjoy more odd-looking spent flowers. Anyway...

Here's the next round of hernandezii flowers coming out for some sun early this afternoon:

The marine layer has been coming back to my area, so it's nice to see that even weak afternoon sun is enough to give the plant bench a touch of color over the dreary days of Fall. Perhaps Winter too? If the hernandezii keeps it up, I think that'll be a pretty safe bet.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
hendryterok

Re: M. hernandezii -- more flowers!

Post by hendryterok »

Nice show Steve....... =D>

Hendry
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

hendryterok wrote:Nice show Steve....... =D>

Hendry
Thanks, my friend! By the way -- I saw your photo of the 2 polaskii seedlings on the Grown From Seed forum. Hope you'll get more germination, so I'll keep an eye out in case you have some follow-up pics to show us over there. Best wishes for successful polaskii-growing! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Steve Johnson wrote:

Hendry
Thanks, my friend! By the way -- I saw your photo of the 2 polaskii seedlings on the Grown From Seed forum. Hope you'll get more germination, so I'll keep an eye out in case you have some follow-up pics to show us over there. Best wishes for successful polaskii-growing! :D
Thanks Steve...Hopefully my M. Hernandezii will be like yours(No pict to post yet).
This morning I found out another T. Polaskii sprouted 8)

Regards,
Hendry
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice flowers! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

My attention is actually grabbed by the spines; they look like cute little spiders, especially on the second pic. Nice!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

What a nice plant. Everything seems to be a bit out of sinc. this year. I don't think the plants are sure which season they are in half the time. I also have some trying to flower but with the shorter days and temps. dropping more at night now I don't hold out too much hope, my Leuchtenbergia principi had a 3 buds on towards the end of summer, 2 disappeared, and the one remaining, after putting in a tremendous effort, I think that too looks a bit sad today when I checked it. Oh well, next year :(

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

hendryterok wrote:
Steve Johnson wrote:

Thanks Steve...Hopefully my M. Hernandezii will be like yours(No pict to post yet).
Regards,
Hendry
Hi Steve....mine finally bloomed last week:D
Sorry for the poor quality of picture as I used HP camera. It lasted for 3 days 8-[ ....Is it normal for M. Hernandezii flower? What abour your?

Cheers
Hendry
Attachments
Hernandezii[1].jpg
Hernandezii[1].jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

hendryterok wrote:Hi Steve....mine finally bloomed last week:D
Sorry for the poor quality of picture as I used HP camera. It lasted for 3 days 8-[ ....Is it normal for M. Hernandezii flower? What abour your?

Cheers
Hendry
Your flower looks good to me, although my hernandezii flowers have been lasting 6-8 days. I'll chalk that up to our cooler weather -- how's it like in Indonesia right now? :-k
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Steve Johnson wrote:
hendryterok wrote:Hi Steve....mine finally bloomed last week:D

Cheers
Hendry
Your flower looks good to me, although my hernandezii flowers have been lasting 6-8 days. I'll chalk that up to our cooler weather -- how's it like in Indonesia right now? :-k
We are now on rainy season but I have no problem with that as my cacti grown in GH and we still have about 2-3 hours of sunlight. When I left home for work I saw another bud forming, hope it could make it......
Thanks for the quick response :D
I'll chalk that up to our cooler weather --Does this mean you move it to cooler place ](*,)
Cheers
Hendry