Cuttings advice

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Douglas Firsure

Cuttings advice

Post by Douglas Firsure »

I have 5 cacti that I got in march. In April I realized the roots were rotting so I cut them dusted with hormone and let dry for 3 weeks. I placed them on a soil mix of d.e and vermiculite. It has been over a month now and no roots have formed. Any tips? The cuttings are about and inch and a half in diameter. Common species. Thanks!
Ron43

Re: Cuttings advice

Post by Ron43 »

I've had a couple that took over 6 months to root.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you can provide bottom heat, that's supposed to help. Never done it myself.
Spence :mrgreen:
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

what species are they?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Douglas Firsure

Post by Douglas Firsure »

myrtillocactus geometrizans
Parodia magnifica
parodia leninghausii
and a few others. Is it ok to just rest the cutting on top, or should I plant it to try and cover some areoles?
It may be noted that the only windows I have face NW and NE, I get morning sun and afternoon sun. They are positioned in the corner of the windows so they get both.
I have left them on a heat pad for over a month now, I noticed the geometrizans started rooting and then it looked as if the roots were burned off. I think it needed H20.
I got over zealous with the cacti when I got them in March, which is a rookie mistake. I Just want them to grow.

Thanks
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yikes, I think likely the heat was the issue. I dont know how warm it is inside your house, but too much heat is as bad as too little or maybe even worse. I assume you heat your house. I know that Alberta Canada is a lot different then Central AZ for heat requirements, but in the winter my house often times gets into the 40s. (I lack heat and my house is designed with an EVAP cooler with ductwork and such, which allows warm air to escape and cold air to come in. However the temps are no where near cold enough to make me concerned for myself or my plants, or my cat. lol I have a feeling my house wouldn't work in Canada. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

I personally have trouble getting cactus to root in dry media. I usually leave them sit a while to callus, and then start watering. Sometimes it backfires, but most of the time they root fine.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

I have some experience with myrtillocactus. They don't seem to root until the following spring. Maybe it's because my location isn't hot enough. I've read they root when the weather is in the high 80s or 90s. I've tried the baggie method with some pups under lights. They didn't root until the following spring as well. Right now there are cuttings that have sat under a bench for a year. They're pretty shriveled up. I'll check for roots tomorrow.

K just checked. No roots. Completely shriveled up. Probably best to use rooting hormone and pot them up. Watering every once in a while shouldn't hurt.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Speaking of cuttings -- & losses -- Doug, O. humifusa just @ thru blossoming & new pads nearing maturation! Drop me a PM & we'll work out the swap of O. fragilis (or whatever), we had talked about!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!