New plant

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Jenny29

New plant

Post by Jenny29 »

Hello,
I bought this cactus as Neochilenis sp. 2 (Horridocactus), I tried to find information about it without success. It is an interesting one, has nearly black colour.
Opinions are welcome!
P1100423.JPG
P1100423.JPG (63.05 KiB) Viewed 874 times
P1100424.JPG
P1100424.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 874 times
P1100425.JPG
P1100425.JPG (63.87 KiB) Viewed 874 times
hoteidoc

Re: New plant

Post by hoteidoc »

That is some SERIOUS spinage! 8-[
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
iann

Post by iann »

Horridocactus is a subgenus of Eriosyce. Originally it was a separate genus, although the plants from it are better known by other names, no doubt partly because the name Horridocactus has not been taken up by the horticultural trade.

Neochilenia is one of those older names and Neochilenis would be a typo.

All Horridocactus from Chile, medium sized compact to short columnar plants that produce sweet-smelling flowers in spring to early summer. They often have dark skin like yours. They can have anything from almost no spines to many spines, sometimes wiry and contorted, sometimes stiff, although rarely as strong as the ones on your plant. I don't know exactly what it might be, possibly even something completely different like a Lobivia?

Horridocactus have a reputation for being rot-prone, although I'm not entirely sure why. They are trouble-free in a suitable (peat-free?) soil. Possibly not great in extreme heat, but they are all safe down to freezing. Keep dry in winter, water whenever they've dried out completely in summer. Some have taproots, some don't, but none have extensive root systems so be careful in that rather large pot.
--ian
Jenny29

Post by Jenny29 »

iann wrote:Horridocactus is a subgenus of Eriosyce. Originally it was a separate genus, although the plants from it are better known by other names, no doubt partly because the name Horridocactus has not been taken up by the horticultural trade.

Neochilenia is one of those older names and Neochilenis would be a typo.

All Horridocactus from Chile, medium sized compact to short columnar plants that produce sweet-smelling flowers in spring to early summer. They often have dark skin like yours. They can have anything from almost no spines to many spines, sometimes wiry and contorted, sometimes stiff, although rarely as strong as the ones on your plant. I don't know exactly what it might be, possibly even something completely different like a Lobivia?

Horridocactus have a reputation for being rot-prone, although I'm not entirely sure why. They are trouble-free in a suitable (peat-free?) soil. Possibly not great in extreme heat, but they are all safe down to freezing. Keep dry in winter, water whenever they've dried out completely in summer. Some have taproots, some don't, but none have extensive root systems so be careful in that rather large pot.
Thank you for your most informative comment Ian!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Ian has already explained regarding the genera concerned they have now been sunk into Eriosyce. Your plant looks like Eriosyce tuberisulcata (syn. horridus). The flower colour varies from yellow to red in different plants. Here is a habitat picture from my friend Roger Ferryman.
horridus4.jpg
horridus4.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 800 times
BRC

Post by BRC »

That little fellow as some impressive spines!!

Great photo Dave.
We sailed through endless skies
Stars shine like eyes
The black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
Falls down in tears

Light of the night
The earth, a purple blaze
Of sapphire haze in orbital ways...
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Very nice plant! =D> I do enjoy the dark bodies of Eriosyces, which is why I collect them. They also tend to have nice, strong, decorative spination. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog