It's all over so soon!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
daiv
Site Admin

It's all over so soon!

Post by daiv »

Well we have been enjoying days in the upper 80s F and it has been so nice lately. This afternoon a cold front came blasting in with strong northwest winds and we're looking at a high of 65F tomorrow and probably our first frost tomorrow night. Then highs down in the 50s. You can just feel the change! Leaves are starting to turn!

This all means I start turning on the heater in the greenhouse at night to stave off the cold. Then before you know it, I'll be hauling them all in for the long winter rest!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Im seeing growth on some of my winter growing succs now too, not nearly as drastic of changes that you have there, but changes none the less.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

I am going to start to pay attention to these type of posts, as my wife and I are talking about relocating to the Denver area in the future. I can usually count on one hand the nights below freezing in San Jose, so I'm not sure if my cacti are going to appreciate the change.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

I here ya there Daiv, we have already had nights in the low 30's and one night was close to 28 had the heater running a few nights in a row. Finaly had 2 days warmer and nights not as bad tonight its finaly warm out again, but rain and cold is rollin in and there talkin lows back down to 50's daytime and night time back in the 30's and one night at 29.. Time for the up and down funky early fall weather, our leafs on the trees have been changing color now for 2 weeks and alot of the trees are just dropping leafs without even changing color all the way, early winter perhaps?

I think our summer went by way to fast considering we got such a slow late spring start..

YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!! :D The joys of living in the great white north HA!!! :P
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

My plants will be in by thursday night. I've been lucky in the lasts 2 weeks but showers and lows around 38-40F in the next days will be enough to encourage the move since I don't know how cold my plants can withstand and that I can't use a heather. You guys seems to have colder temps and earlier fall signs than me. I wouldn't have expect that.

At least, we have those southern hemisphere guys to cheer us up with pictures. Oh, and I have a seeds order on the way.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Looks like you are further up North than I am: Yesternight I slept out on the balcony without a 2nd blanket as it was too hot -- although this was an exception. The other nights I had needed the 2nd blanket. We can feel fall approaching, but I don't think about getting the plants in yet.
Enjoy a colourful fall!
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

It's all over so soon!
I know the feeling :roll:
/Christer
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

This is our current weather right now..
Harrietta, MI
Feels like: 46°
High 50°Low 27°

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..... :P
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well here are a few pics to go with the story...

First from the day before - I mentioned these in my "away" post. Did not have the camera when these were full bore:

The E. oxygona is already closing here, but I thought it made a nice backdrop for the P. warasii

The greenhouse was 60F by the time I went down to turn the heater off. I did not have the heater full blast and so I'm not sure what it was before the sun hit it. After turning off the heater in the GH, I took a few pics around the yard to show the frostyness. Since the sun is out it may not look cold - note also the long shadows!

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

The change of seasons provides its own drama, and rewards.

Admittedly, though, I do like the growing seasons more than the chill of winter.

Only two days ago I set out seeds for thirteen different cacti. Have no idea if this is a good idea or if I should have waited for spring. Already they are housed in a greenhouse to stave off too much cold. Frost should be at least a month away.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:( Another freeeezing night for us, there calling for a low of 22 :shock: This is the time when we all catch colds from the change of weather but on sunday for my Bday im taking a ride out on the trails with the quad cold or no cold im goin time for some early fall pics.. :P
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

22°?!!!! It's still summer!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Well, it all depends on where you live! Tell that to somebody from down under.
Here in South Germany, fall has crept in, too. I have to get my sensitive South-Afcrican folks into the house.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Well, I know where Michigan is, and unless something really funny happened while I was sleeping, it's still squarely in the northern hemisphere.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I'm at the NY house now for another few days; that's why no posts. But I saw this one and thought I'd share that I learned that all my 100+ cacti had to be taken inside in VT due to lots of rain. Then it came it fairly warm, then more rain & the first frost warnings. A team of 5 friends took all the cacti back into several places (house, shed & garage) to protect them until I return. I don't like this time of the year!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!