Dim Bulb Cacti

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Bruce

Dim Bulb Cacti

Post by Bruce »

I grow on a light cart under full-spectrum fluorescents. Given the limitations of space and light, I mainly grow Haworthias and small Euphorbias. I’d really like to have a few cacti in the mix and I’ve tried many over the years. For the most part (and not surprisingly) the cacti etiolate and I discard them. Some like Schlumbergeras are happy enough but aren’t the little spikey balls I’m looking for. Rather than continue by trial and error, I thought I’d ask the community for specific recommendations. I’m looking for small-to-miniature “cactus-looking” cacti that will be content with a shady environment (maybe 2300 foot-candles or so). Any suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks.

Bruce
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

Growing adult cacti under artificial light is not easy. Can you give some examples of what have you already have tried? For example, it would be useful to know how Gymnocalycium and Rebutia species have reacted, they are a little less prone to etioliate than others.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Sorry it took me a while to reply...

The ones that I still have that are definitely etiolated are:

Sulcorebutia Alba
Escobaria minima
Rebutia pygmeae colorea
Rebutia Sun Rise

The ones that may be okay (or simply in statis waiting to die) are:

Sulcorebutia rauschii (green)
Copiapoa dura
Escobaria hesteri
Escobaria sneedii
Neochilenia occulta
Mammillaria hernandezii
Mammillaria saboae ssp haudeana

When I first tried cacti 4 or 5 years ago, I bought a bunch of Gymnos. None of them did well (it could have been inexperience and/or the lights, I guess). I gave the survivors away.

Thanks.

Bruce
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Bruce,
Sounds a bit like pushing a rock up hill. Do you have any means of growing them besides under the artificial lights?

The nice thing about most cactus is that they keep so well if you treat them like potatoes for the winter. :) If you can just grow them in sunlight for the summer and let them wait out the winter cool and dry, you can really get great results.

I continue to be amazed at how nice many of my plants are doing with this type of care. Some of the real sun lovers like C. bigelovii are not etiolating, but don't have the same heavy spine growth that they do in CA.

If you can't go this route, perhaps you could follow Christer's windowsill growing method. He has done quite well this way. But again, using the power of the sun!

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Daiv - For various reasons, the only place I have to grow plants is my light cart. For the most part, I grow what is happy with "light cart conditions". Once in a while, I get the urge to try something new. If the new stuff works, great. If not, I give away the survivors and move on.

Since I'm part of CactiGuide, part of me is always looking for honest-to-goodness cacti to grow. I've tried a lot over the years and basically gave up until I read something about Escobarias growing in the shade - that got me started experimenting again. I found some stuff on Desert-Tropicals that grew in "shade" or "light shade" and bought enough to temporarily calm my cravings. I've now had them long enough to see what definitely isn't working. As I said above, some may be working but they need more time.

Anyway, it finally occurred to me that it was long past time I asked the people here for advice...

Bruce
iann

Post by iann »

Another limitation of indoor growing is that cacti for the most part do better with hot days and cool nights. Even if you get the light intensity high enough (for part of the day but probably not all of it which would be too stressful) then the plants still etiolate because they are too warm at night.

Tropical species tend to do better with warm nights, often the same ones that like less light and more humidity. Not always though. Things like Pilosocereus like it warm all the time but I don't think anyone would call them a shade cactus 8)
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

I will chime in on this sub since i grow alot of plants under light all winter long. Iann im not even gona get into a heated discussion with you on lights. :P

Yes alot of cacti or other plants for that matter can and or will etiolate due in part to not the right type bulb light output, just not the same as outdoor conditions, anyways you can help to somewhat control the etiolation by getting the lights closer to those certain plants, using certain bulbs and or sunlight sup via window between alternating from lights to window, also depends on how long the lights are on for, if i notice any of mine starting to etiolate i move them to window for natural light for as long as possible. I only currently have 3 cacti that are prone to start etiolating under lights durring the winter month, my lights are on almost 24hrs at this time, unless treating with pestacide which i do once a month and lights go off for 2 days. My plants are only in this setup till spring/summer and fall months where they are outside for those months.
Succulents i run a timer on there lights. Growing cacti and succulents under lights can be done without any problems if done right..
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Maybe you could get one of these and put the cart under it:

http://www.solatube.com/residential/index.php
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
alkravi

Post by alkravi »

Bruce, I asked the same questions you did some time ago. I have a project (still in work) of growing shade loving cacti under artificial lights all the time.

I can advice you Blossfeldia liliputana, both Aztekiums, Gymnocalicium ragonesii. They are really miniature and at least very shade tolerant (love this species). First two you may want to grow grafted, in this case Harrisia jusbertii and Trichocereus pachanoi are your best choice, as far as I'm concerned.

PS Do you have photos of your growing chamber? What lamps and how many do you use? What is the distance between plants and the lamps?

Having converted foot-candles to lux I must say that's a pretty good result for fluorescents. Your distance must be 10 cm maximum and the lamps must be very close to each other.