Winter Grow Rack...

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
*Barracuda_52*

Winter Grow Rack...

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Well its time once again to start building something, so its gona be a winter grow rack for Cacti & Succulents and Begonias, i started with plans on paper, yes thats chicken scratch writting.. LOL!! :P Only my family knows how to read my crap.. Anyways it will look very simular to what i drew and my Begonias will be on the very bottom shelf, upper 2 selfs will be for cacti and succulents. Its gona go in my office will stand about 70 inches tall. This way i dont have to have a ton of seperate grow chambers thruout the house.. Will post pics when we start and as we progress with it till its finished, gona start on it next week.. I can just hear hubby now, "You want what?? I thought i told you i was done building things for you!!!" :evil: Well guess what BUB TO BAD!!! :D No seriously he knows we need a rack built and sat with me while i drew up the plans even though he gave me that "Why do i always end up involved with these building things look." LOL!!

Pics to come soon.. 8)
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
cruaux

Post by cruaux »

OMG, don't apologize for your "chicken scratch" writing, please. That's a picture of lucidity and legibility in comparison to my 'doctor's' writing.

(I have three doctoral level/equivalent degrees. Handwriting abandoned me for a more hospitable universe years ago)

On a more serious note, are you sure the rack will be wide enough? I maintained about 2/3rd's of my collection over the winter time using a four shelf metal "baker's rack" affair that was 48" wide and 70" tall, and it was a bit of a squeeze. This year they're going in a glasshouse. :cheers:
swords

Post by swords »

I built something just like that for my C & S in May. Mine is 48" L x 24" W x 72" tall. With 3 shelves, 4x 40 watt lamps over each shelf a few inches away from the plants.

The only suggestion I'd make to your sketch is to get some sorta air circulation going on cos the shelf is way hot with no fan. I hooked up a 4" PC fan to a 4" diameter flexible aluminum dryer vent with some duct "T" sections emptying onto each shelf. This incoming air brings the temps down to almost whatever it is outside and keeps the air circulating around the plants. The only problem I've had is battling a curse of the mealies on my Stapeliads. They love them above all others! :(

I'll try and post some pics in a bit of the setup to better explain with images.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Nothing is set in stone yet it was just a quick sketch i did to give hubby a idea of what i want him to build, i dont need as much room on the shelfs due to i will have my 4 1/2ft long grow chamber back in the livingroom again for winter will house alot of plants in there.

Sounds good swords, cant wait to see the pics.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

that pc vent thing is really inventive!

cuda, I don't find it hard to decipher your handwriting
iann

Post by iann »

I had to fit a standard PC fan into my winter growing box because it was getting too hot in there.
--ian
Di

Post by Di »

OK,Michigan is close to Ontario. Could hubby come to my place and build me a winter rack too but without the bottom shelf as I don't have floor to ceiling windows. I would so appreciate it when hubby builds yours, to send me the plans. The lighting you are using etc. Then I can ask my boyfriend to build me something similar. I am trying to be creative on building a winter home for my cacti and succulents. Your plan looks perfect except I would want mine the length of the room. Probably about 10 feet, maybe 12. Small room but a good window with light. Of course, like Michigan, winter doesn't always mean good light! :cry:

Di