Shortening/hiding an Aztekium graft stock?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
swords

Shortening/hiding an Aztekium graft stock?

Post by swords »

I've got a grafted Aztekium ritteri that I would like to cut the graft stock shorter (down to 1" or so) and hide it under the soil mix & top dressing so just the Aztekium is showing. The Aztekium is about 2" in diameter and loaded with offsets along the ribs but I really hate the look of a grafted cactus. I think it's grafted on Hylocereus stock. Can I do this without killing the Aztekium? Will the stock reroot if it's buried entirely?
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

The A. ritteri that I grafted were half on Hylocerus, and none of them were rooted, and they're all fine now, so the answer is that it can work.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I bought one a few months ago that has about 2" of Perekiopsis/Pereskia stock buried so the plant looks like it's on it's own roots.

I'd guess that this was done when the plant was small though. I"m not sure how easy it would be to graft a large plant onto a Preskiopsis stock.

I've heard of using Opuntia of some sort for short/hidden grafting stock.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
psi

Post by psi »

TimN wrote:I bought one a few months ago that has about 2" of Perekiopsis/Pereskia stock buried so the plant looks like it's on it's own roots.
Does a graft on a buried pereskiopsis stock still grow a lot faster than the same size of plant would on its own roots?
cortona

Post by cortona »

in the past i had buyed a lot of cacty(astrophytum mostly) grafted in ylo, the way i degraft it with almost 100/100 result is to cut the stock at 1 inch end remove all the green pulp , let it dry, and wen after a week or so is all safe simply put the thing in normal cacty soil, and give it some water(also you can spray it but some wather at the roots level are neded)
after a week you can see some new roots,plants look realy ungrafted and you have a nice grown rate but not the stock!
od course the roots are from the ylo vascular tissue but.. wo care?
ps without the pulp..no cold problem!
Tony

Post by Tony »

psi wrote:
TimN wrote:I bought one a few months ago that has about 2" of Perekiopsis/Pereskia stock buried so the plant looks like it's on it's own roots.
Does a graft on a buried pereskiopsis stock still grow a lot faster than the same size of plant would on its own roots?
Yes, I have chopped a few of mine shorter so the peresk is completly hidden and they rooted and are growing strong.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Loph

Post by Loph »

like said above, it will work fine. sometimes hylo can get infected with various pathogens....happens....whether cut or not. i wouldnt worry. on a slow grower like aztekium, teh growth speed isnt hugely noticeable like other species or species grafted on pereskiopsis.

peresk short stocks work well too....but surface area for photosynthesis does count for something, so ya it slows things down to varying degrees. somethign to keep in mind for sure.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

surface area for photosynthesis does count for something
that's interesting, that also means that if you shorten the graft of one of the well known gymno cultivars without chlorophyl, being grafted wouldn't help at all, it would still die. sure makes me wonder how much surface area it would need to live..
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)