Can this Opuntia be saved???

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
cactusclub

Can this Opuntia be saved???

Post by cactusclub »

I found this while riding my bike this morning, on the sidewalk...there were many of them, only took this one. Is it alive, can it be saved and can anyone id it? 8) The plant it fell off is huge and is in front of a huge saguaro.

peterb

Post by peterb »

O. cochenillifera, I think. Absolutely save-able. You can't kill these things with a hatchet and flamethrower around here. Just put it in some damp rooting medium, either upright or just lie it flat.

peterb
Zone 9
cactusclub

Post by cactusclub »

:lol: I want to plant one in the front yard and see how it does. Thanks for your help!! =D>
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

I would root it first in the rooting medium, just to help it get a nice root structure, which will give faster results when planted in the yard. Nice find! might aswell go back and snag as many as you can. You know as well as the rest of us that you can never have to many :lol:
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I have even planted only the fruit-thing under the flower, and it has rooted and is growing pads, and blooms.
cactusclub

Post by cactusclub »

dustin0352 wrote:I would root it first in the rooting medium, just to help it get a nice root structure, which will give faster results when planted in the yard. Nice find! might aswell go back and snag as many as you can. You know as well as the rest of us that you can never have to many :lol:
:lol: I'll get them tomorrow if they're still there

Moonbeam, cool I'll try that too :D
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

cactusclub wrote:
dustin0352 wrote:I would root it first in the rooting medium, just to help it get a nice root structure, which will give faster results when planted in the yard. Nice find! might aswell go back and snag as many as you can. You know as well as the rest of us that you can never have to many :lol:
:lol: I'll get them tomorrow if they're still there

Moonbeam, cool I'll try that too :D
You do know that Opuntiads will one day take over the world :lol: and your now helping them :wink:

Of course my yard is a breeding ground for them :D
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
cactusclub

Post by cactusclub »

Ha! I'm a sucker for stray cats and stray cactus :lol:
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

Opuntia are killer mutants. One of those pads will have a 3 gallon nursery pot completely root bound in 3 - 4 months
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

Ocotillo wrote:Opuntia are killer mutants. One of those pads will have a 3 gallon nursery pot completely root bound in 3 - 4 months
There is never a situation where they will die unless by some chance you get rot, which is near impossible because they love water.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Silenus wrote:
Ocotillo wrote:Opuntia are killer mutants. One of those pads will have a 3 gallon nursery pot completely root bound in 3 - 4 months
There is never a situation where they will die unless by some chance you get rot, which is near impossible because they love water.
Unfortunately thats not true. O. cochenillifera will grow like a weed in Arizona but if I grow it in Kansas it will have a very short life span because of our cold winters. Our wet spring can also be hard on them.
But I will agree Opuntia are one of the hardiest cacti to grow and I have a yard full of them :lol:
Bill

Sahara

Post by Sahara »

They are actually considered a noxious weed in Australia, there are that many prickly pears growing in the wild. I have one anyway... ;)
When hobbies become obsessions...
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

My frontyard is full of weeds :D

I love my weedy yard 8)
Bill

John C

Post by John C »

It's a beautiful yard! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"