Do the root mealybugs' wax go away when they die?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.

Moderators: ElieEstephane, DaveW

brixtertabun

Do the root mealybugs' wax go away when they die?

Post by brixtertabun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:20 am

Hi, it's my first time to treat root mealybugs because previously I just threw out an infested cactus. 2 days ago, I tried the hot water drench method. I dipped my cacti in hot water for a few minutes. In case that doesn't work, my friend from Germany is coming in a month and hopefully he could buy the systemic insecticide I asked him.

This morning, I checked my cacti soil and it still has traces of the white stuff that the root mealybugs make: the webs, wax and cottony stuff. I don't have time yet to poke around and check the actual bugs. Maybe the root mealybugs are actually dead and I'm just seeing their houses? I was hoping that the webs would disintegrate in time once the insects die. Assuming they are dead, will the white stuff go away eventually?

ElieEstephane

Re: Do the root mealybugs' wax go away when they die?

Post by ElieEstephane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 am

You should discard the old soil.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:

brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 am

It's difficult to find pumice and it's pricey. And cacti are not the easiest to repot. I guess I'll take my chances.

ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 am

You can remove the soil, treat the roots and body and sterilize the soil either in the microwave, steam or boiling water then plant the cactus in the old mix you sterilized
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: