Galvanised Pots

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
r_shazrin

Galvanised Pots

Post by r_shazrin »

Hello,
I got this galvanised square pots from IKEA. Each are about 2 inches. I meant to use them for my lithops but I don't have that many yet. I am just wondering if the roots will get cooked in the hot sun? Any ideas?

~ShaZ
iann

Post by iann »

How deep are they?

Very difficult to judge how hot a container will get in the sun, just stick it out there and put a thermometer in the soil after a few hours. We tend to think metal gets hot, but they are shiny and maybe they will be OK.
--ian
r_shazrin

Post by r_shazrin »

they are about 3" in height... will try that thermometer experiment.
~ShaZ
iann

Post by iann »

That sounds like a good size for potting on seedlings for a couple of years.
--ian
r_shazrin

Post by r_shazrin »

iann wrote:That sounds like a good size for potting on seedlings for a couple of years.
exactly what i thought...

now if only i had that many seedlings LOL...
~ShaZ
SAMBK

Post by SAMBK »

Greets,

Hahahahaha, cool pots but TERRACOTA rulez !!!

Godspeed & Regards.

;-)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Painting the outside of the pots white could significantly reduce the surface temperature.
willpower

Post by willpower »

tumamoc wrote:Painting the outside of the pots white could significantly reduce the surface temperature.
Not sure about that. White paint will reflect more themal radiation than black, but silver and shiny beats them both.
iann

Post by iann »

With square pots, the ones to worry about are those on the outside facing the sun. You could put a piece of expanded polystyrene along that size to slow down heating. Also remember to use a light coloured top dressing. Lithops plants more or less stay at the same temperature as the soil they are in with no other way to cool down.
--ian
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

Are these pots going to receive any direct sunlight? (That would be ruination where I live)

Shiny is definitely more reflective than white paint of any sheen. (Reflectance coefficients of .71 and .58 respectively)

With metals two additional factors are also at work.

(1) Shiny finishes go hand in hand with low emissivity. So even though a shiny bit of metal is reflecting most of the heat away, it is holding and not releasing the heat that does penetrate the surface.

(This is why a shiny black finish on metal makes a more efficient solar collector than a dull black finish. The dull black finish absorbs more heat, but that advantage is more than lost because it re-radiates it back into the air.)

(2) Metals in general have high internal thermal conductivity. Heat absorbed in one area is quickly and efficiently conducted to the rest of the structure.

These two factors together tend to overwhelm surface reflectivity, which is why a piece of metal polished to a shiny finish will attain a higher temperature in direct sunlight than it will with a flat finish of any light color.