East Coast Cacti Growers

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Sbradford89

East Coast Cacti Growers

Post by Sbradford89 »

Any suggestions as to when you bring your plants inside or if you keep them outdoors all year round? Im fairly new to all of this. My Fiance's Mom brings hers in as soon as the threat of Frost approaches, and then once the threat is gone places them back outside... any suggestions or does that sound like a fine plan? Any and All tips are greatly appreciated.
Below is a photo of my first Cactus. Its kept on my front porch where it gets Sun from about 11Am- 6pm. (i brought it in for the photo)
So new... So much to discover...Sincerely Shala
RayC

Post by RayC »

I'm pretty new here as well. I stumbled in after buying a Eastern Prickly Pear (Opuntia humifusa) and finding out it was not only possible to grow them outside, but were actually a native plant here in CT (Pa as well). Most of what you buy in the stores will not be suitable for our winters though, but there are some that (with a little special care) can do pretty well outside all year long. You can puruse the outdoor cacti forum and get some ideas if you like.
Last edited by RayC on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

thanks. im actually on a hunt to find a potting mixture that i can afford to creat for my new little guy.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Sbradford89 wrote:thanks. im actually on a hunt to find a potting mixture that i can afford to creat for my new little guy.
I'll give you a tip. At Home Depot they sell a "cheap" brand of topsoil by the name "Earth Grow". Its $1.39 per 40 lb bag. With a little work you can use it for cactus. Whats nice about this soil is that there are usually not many bark pieces or twigs and its already somewhat sandy. What I do is sift the soil through two different size screens. First sifting is through a 1/4 inch screen, this breaks up clumps and gets rid of larger twigs or other foreign objects. then what goes through that I put through a very fine screen, this further breaks it up into a powder and eliminates smaller twigs or other unwanted things. What's left is a nice fine topsoil. I mix this with about 50% of aquatic plant soil and perlite for drainage.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think your inside/outside plan is a good one and I'll add two things:

1. Be careful of sunburn. (see article here: http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article4.php )

2. Let them go dormant in winter. This means slow down and eventually cease watering in the fall and then keep plants cool (under 50 degrees) for the entire winter -not watering again until spring.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

Yeah i read the articl eon sunburn, so i moved it to an area on my deck that gets sunshine in the morning and shades a little then gets sunny some and shades... so hopefully it doesnt sunburn. the cool area in the winter is going to be a little difficult for me, as we keep it around id say 65-70F in my house at winter for my daughter's sake.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Do you have a garage or basement that is cool, but not freezing? If not, between a curtain and a window might be the best bet. Note: If you get it cool, dry, and dormant, it won't need any light during that time.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

i have a shed... but its outside, and gets quiet cold... its very dark also.... my trouble is im living in a trailor park so there isnt much i have to place it on or at. we have no window sills, i have a hopechest that sits in front of a window in my living room, and the top of a fridge... im hoping to get a shelf to hang on my wall... my room gets pretty warm at night though.