New here, looking for help

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
otchster

New here, looking for help

Post by otchster »

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a few cacti for my home and my cubicle at work.

At work, sunlight is limited. I was hoping to buy off of: http://www.miles2go.com/ .

I'm looking for some recommendations on what to buy. I would like something that looks cool that won't need much sun.

Thanks!
echinopsis ed

Re: New here, looking for help

Post by echinopsis ed »

otchster wrote:Hey guys, I am looking to buy a few cacti for my home and my cubicle at work.

At work, sunlight is limited. I was hoping to buy off of: http://www.miles2go.com/ .

I'm looking for some recommendations on what to buy. I would like something that looks cool that won't need much sun.

Thanks!
The hawthoria species are probably your best bet, if you want to grow something that doesn't like much sun. The majority of them, like to be grown in shade/early morning sun.
echinopsis ed

Re: New here, looking for help

Post by echinopsis ed »

otchster wrote:Hey guys, I am looking to buy a few cacti for my home and my cubicle at work.

Thanks!
The hawthoria species are probably your best bet, if you want to grow something that doesn't like much sun. The majority of them, like to be grown in shade/early morning sun.

Haworthia reinwardtii is good to grow indoors.
otchster

Post by otchster »

Thanks for your input. I am having a hard time finding that on http://www.miles2go.com/ .

Do you have a preferred online retailer?

Does anybody else have any input?
ColdCactus

Post by ColdCactus »

-Eli-
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi otchster! Welcome to the forum. Many succuelents are not well suited for indoor growth unless that is inside a greenhouse!

You might have lots of options at home and could get a good collection growing, but I'm afraid that you might be stuck with the typical dracaena, sansevieria, dieffenbachia, and the like.

However, one thing you could do is get a good population at home under strong light and rotate them out at work. This would provide you with a changing view and keep the plants from etiolating and getting sickly from too low of light. Maybe two week shifts once a year?

That would certainly make your work space more interesting!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Good idea, Daiv!!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks - I actually have done this at home for a while with Orchids. I had out of the way some shelving set up next to a window and with supplemental lighting for growing orchids with optimal light and temp, etc. Then when they start blooming, I could put one in a bathroom, a bedroom, a couple in the living room, etc. When they are done blooming, then I'd just put it back under the lights and bring out the next one.

I don't have this going on anymore since moving, but hope to set up this routine again in the future. If you have around 30 plants, you can pretty much plan on having 5 orchids blooming at a given time year round.

Soo... with cacti, you wouldn't really do it for the blooms. Each cacti is so interesting even without flowers, but orchids all look alike when not in bloom.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti