Few questions as well

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
MDuchek

Few questions as well

Post by MDuchek »

I have 4 cacti, 2 which I have had for a while and 2 which I just got. Before the 2 I had were in a pot with normal potting soil. Since then I learned that one of them was suffering from etiolation. So I bought a small planterwith about 1 and 1/4 to a and 1/2 inches depth and planted them in cactus soil they sold. So, few questions:

1.) Is this soil deep enough? The tallest one is maybe 7 inches, and the others are smaller. Roots seem OK in this depth, but worried they may get crowded. If this pot is too shallow, how deep of a planter is reccomended?

2.) Given this depth, and the fact that I have had them outside, the soil seems to get dry rather quickly (in a few days). How often should I water it?
iann

Post by iann »

Sounds like a bonsai pot. Its not going to kill your plants any time soon, but its too shallow for any except the smallest shallowest root systems. Look at the roots when you plant, generally aim for a pot which is about the same size as the fully spread root system. Sometimes smaller is better, sometimes larger, you will get experience about which species like room to spread and which should stay cramped. Just about any 7" tall cactus is not going to be happy without at least two or three inches of soil depth. Smaller non-taproot globulars might do OK in a bonsai dish but then you need to make sure they have enough room for the roots widthways.

Etiolation isn't caused by the soil, it is caused by lack of light. You can grow in just about any soil, although the right soil does make things a lot easier. BTW, the right soil isn't what they sell in a bag ;)

Soil that dries in a few days isn't necessarily a problem. If the plants are drinking all the water in a few days then you can water them again. If it is evaporating in a few days because it is very hot then you can water again. You only have a problem if the plants are permanently thirsty because all the water evaporates before they can get a drink. Watering continuously because the soil won't hold enough water can cause problems for some species, you should aim to give them some "dry time" :)
--ian
MDuchek

Post by MDuchek »

Thanks, I will seek out a deeper planter in the next few days.

I know etiolation is caused by lack of light. As such I've placed them outside. Not sure if it's enough because my balcony seems to get shady by 4 these days, but it should be a big improvement from where it was before (which was inside by a window facing east)???

So what then should I do for soil? The cactus soil they sold was made of sand and Fafard 3B. What should I add to it or how should I make something better?

Also wondering about gravel/rocks. They told me at the place that people often place it on top of the soil for decoration, but I think I also saw something about putting it on the bottom. Thoughts?
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

In turn...Hello MDuchek
So what then should I do for soil? The cactus soil they sold was made of sand and Fafard 3B. What should I add to it or how should I make something better?
Fafard 3B ingredients: Canadian sphagnum peat moss, Processed pine bark, Perlite, Vermiculite, Starter nutrients, Wetting agent, Dolomitic limestone.

Some good stuff - some questionable stuff. Most forum members make their own mix. See the "Growing Cacti" link at the top right of the page here. Search the forum as well. There is no magic formula - your location, species grown, weather conditions etc. should all influence your choices. What is good for you might not be the best for me. Sand added to the mix should be very coarse and not your sandbox type stuff.
Also wondering about gravel/rocks. They told me at the place that people often place it on top of the soil for decoration, but I think I also saw something about putting it on the bottom. Thoughts?
Decoration, sure. Also helps keep the lighter compost components in place e.g. perlite, pumice, etc. It is unecesary to add gravel to the bottom of the pots. Your soil mix should provide the drainage required. Popular opinion seems to say that the plants desire a uniform medium throughout the pot.

Bryan
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Didn't see this post was made twice and I posted in the other one.

Here is what I wrote, I am going to remove the duplicate post.

Hi!

Well there are a ton of variables here and more info that we'll need to know.

1. Where is your location in the world? Growing cacti in England is a whole lot diffent than in Arizona.

2. Any idea on which species you have? Can you post images?

3. Etiolation is due to low light more than anything. Did you move them to a different spot or just repot?

4. Did you amend the "cactus soil" with any inorganic material such as pearlite or peat? Unfortunately, you'd probably be just as well off with the potting soil as the cactus mix that they sell.

5. Most cacti species do not have deep roots, but broad spreading ones. Depth may or may be fine, but depends on species. Are you planting all 4 plants in the same pot? I would not recommend this.

6. As long as your cacti are growing, water them as soon as you notice the soild is dry. Again, location would help a lot here. Not just geographically, but also where the planter is. (eg. South facing wall along a house)

Certainly, with the right info, we can get help you get the best results with your cacti.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

I have a number of issues with commercial bagged cactus soil. For example, I don't like bark, peat, perlite, or vermiculite for the plants I grow. But most importantly, I've never seen a commercial cactus soil that had remotely good enough drainage, so add extra grit or perlite. Mixed with the soil, not in the bottom. You can add some on top if you like, it has advantages and disadvantages. I put grit on the surface of most of my plants.
--ian
MDuchek

Cacti

Post by MDuchek »

OK well here they are:

First one someone here said looks like an Echinopsis. Has a baby one attached to it. ABout 7.5 inches tall.

This one was ID'd as Neoraimondia. ABout 5 inches tall.

This one I don't know what it is. About 2 or so inches tall but much wider, like 3 inches

This one listed on the tag as sulcorebutia. One inch tall/wide or so.

So does the care vary by species on these?
Last edited by MDuchek on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Hey again,

I am sure others will chime in with more specific info but, the third plant looks to be some sort of Mammillaria.

Yes, the care does vary by species. In terms of light and water each of those has it's own specific needs. I would pot them individually to start.

Bryan
MDuchek

ok

Post by MDuchek »

Oh yeah, I am in Wisconsin by the way. The weather here in the summer gets up to the high 80s usually. We commonly have days above 90, and it's not unusual for a very occasional day or two above 100. We had a few weeks of sunny mid-to-high 80s, and now we're moving into a somewhat cooler spell of low 80s high 70s.

Winter typically gets pretty cold. Usually hovers in the 20s or low teens at the coldest, but we'll get some days below zero, and had even a little with teens below zero this past winter throughout the state.

Sounds like in winter it's good to find a dark, cool place, but not too cool (30s?, above freezing?)?

Anyway thanks, any info on further care in terms of where/how to pot these, what kind of soil to use and anything else would be appreciated.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ok, yep that helps for sure.

It does look like you've got some gravel and/or pearlite in the mix and that helps with drainage. (Make sure your pot has good drainage too!)

Anyway, I'm in Minnesota now and so very similar conditions as you have. You will want to put them outside in spring in a sunny spot. If you do it just after the last frost, I think the intensity will increase gradually enough without burning them. Then as you say, in the winter, put them in a cool place (45F or so). It doesn't have to be dark, but definitely no water.

As for potting together in the same pot... You'll find those two columnars will get much larger while the other two stay fairly small. Even then the Mammillaria will get easily twice as big as the Rebutia. So individual pots will allow you to deal with this as needed. Also you don't want to be watering a cactus that isn't growing, or water less if slowly growing. On the other hand, you will wnat to give adequate water to a fast growing cactus. So if one is growing slow and one is fast, you will not have an easy time keeping both of them happy.

All in all, I think you're off to a good start and those cacti should prove quite hardy and good to start with.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
MDuchek

thanks

Post by MDuchek »

Thanks for your help. I also noticed some spots & places where there seems to be a little damage or something on one of them. I put a post in the sick cacti section on that. If anyone can help with that as well, that would be great.