Hydrogen Peroxide and seedlings

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
hayu

Hydrogen Peroxide and seedlings

Post by hayu »

I was reading an article it said that peroxide was good for plants and it could be used to stop algi from growing. Can it be used on seedlings? The article didn't say. The solution was 1 tbs/gallon of water.

It was in Epiphyllumforum.com. Someone said they had been using it on their older epis with good results. But they didn't know if it would be good on seedlings.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I read a site of a guy who sold a foliar fertilizer with hydrogen peroxide. He seemed to think that Hydrogen Peroxide is good for plants.

I'm not real sure, myself.

Tim
iann

Post by iann »

Hydrogen peroxide is a fairly gentle bleach and disinfectant, at least in the 3%-6% concentrations usually sold. It can be used for prevention of fungal and algal growth on soil, or for disinfecting seeds before you sow. I don't use it.

Hydrogen peroxide has been sold for a variety of "therapeutic" purposes, usually based on its supposed ability to provide extra oxygen. "Oxygenated" products, with or without hydrogen peroxide, are currently a very popular way of relieving people of their money. "Ozone" products are marketed to the same gullible people.
--ian
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

We use a product at work that contains peroxide to help kill algae in ponds and it doesn't hurt the waterlilies or other pond plants we grow. It is hard on our mosquito fish(type of guppy)tho.
Chris
hayu

Post by hayu »

So far a tsp of peroxide in a pint of distilled water has slowed the algi. I sprayed the bag that also had algi with just peroxide and it stopped it.