Epis and Sphagnum?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Christer Johansson

Epis and Sphagnum?

Post by Christer Johansson »

Hello all.

I am thinking of using Sphagnum in the pot for my Epiphyllum and other epis. Since they use it with orchids I think it should work. What do you think?
/Christer
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I find my plants (in compost) dry out quite quickly and I don't always notice until they start to go a bit flaccid. I think that in moss they would need watering almost daily. I couldn't be bothered.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

phil_SK wrote:I find my plants (in compost) dry out quite quickly and I don't always notice until they start to go a bit flaccid. I think that in moss they would need watering almost daily. I couldn't be bothered.
I was thinking of that too, but if you just wrap some Sphagnum around the roots? :-k
/Christer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Christer, I did use some of this mixed well with soil and orchid bark and it worked fine. Of course, this was in San Clemente, where the climate was near perfect anyway (just add water). My latest mix is Coir, pummice, orchid bark, and supersoil. This has been a fantastic mix. Only thing to note is that the bark will breakdown in time and you will need to repot eventually - but I would do that anyway.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti