Onzuka vs Haku Jo!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Paracelsus

Onzuka vs Haku Jo!

Post by Paracelsus »

No, it's not going to be Japanese monster movie, at least not exactly. I picked these up at the San Francisco Succulent and Cactus Society show last weekend. My wife came along, so my ability to acquire mass quantities was grossly limited, but I did manage to find a few small gems. Here are the cacti:

Echinopsis Haku Jo (unique Echinopsis with ribs covered by hair)
Side view of pups (pups readily, flowers are white)
Astro myriostigma 'onzuka' (It's absolutely perfect and on it's own roots!)

Image Image Image

Anyone else have Haku Jo? I had never encountered this mutation before, and apparently there is an astrophytum Haku Jo also. Does anyone know the proper spelling? I find Hakujo and Haku Jo used for same thing.

The Onzuka was to irresistable to pass up. There were much smaller four, and three lobed forms, but I really like this one the most. It is simply perfect.

The NORCAL show next month. Many I'll find a few more spiny treasures :)

I hope you enjoyed seeing my new babies! :D
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I've always enjoyed seeing baby pictures :) Great looking plants but i can't offer any comments as there a little out of my league of knowledge.
Last edited by ihc6480 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ah ha! thats what that is, Haku Jo. I saw one recently but it was unlabeled and kinda pricey. But i knew i liked it :D

Nice ones man!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great finds. I like the echinopsis! :D

Mark
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Couple of perfect cultivars. Yes, I learned about Haku-jo from other members here. Apparently they are nearly impossible to flower. Although I think Betty from Australia has had success with hers?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

I bought an A. asterias Onzuka a few months ago and really like it. it's a very beautiful plant, both in shape and flocking. Yours looks very similar in size to the one that I bought. I repotted it and it's growing well in it's new pot.

Mine has the chevrons on the arioles like yours. I have sympathy for your plight of shopping with a non-cactiphile. It can definitely be a challenge!

That Echinopsis is just weird looking! It kind of reminds me of a Geohintonia with spines. Kinda, sorta...if you squint.

Tim
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

Haku jo a nice one Brad. Here's the flowers from mine earlier in the year.
Image Image

Betty
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I've seen this Echinopsis called several different things. It's mentioned in Curt Backeberg's Cactus Lexicon as an addition by Walther Haage in the updated version:

Echinopsis 'Haku-jo' hort. (Haku-jomaru)
A monstrose Echinopsis form from Japan more recently
[this is in 1974] distributed also in USA; the name translates roughly as "Ball with stripes of grey felt" [...] Presumably a hybrid.

There is also a translator's note from Lois Glass:

While the grey-felty appearance gives the body an interesting "different" look, the only flowers I have seen were very small, orange yellow and so distorted-crumpled that the plants seem more of a monstrosity than a hybrid as suggested by Haage.

There is a short article in the journal of the British Cactus and Succulent Society - CactusWorld 2006, 24(4), 225 - which includes a photo of a large flowering plant together with a flower cross section. The flowers are described as being 2cm long (less than an inch) and are basically 2cm of normal Echinopsis bud fluff, with a stigma poking out the end. Nothing that could be described as petals.

The flowers on parrotsheaven's plant are like a normal Echinopsis. Because these plants can produce such very different flowers, the consensus is that it's a chimera between a standard oxygona-type Echinopsis and .... who knows? The big white flowers arise only from parts of the plant that have reverted - the ribs don't have the distinctive felting. Annoyingly, it doesn't seem to revert to the other 'parent'.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

parrotsheaven wrote:Haku jo a nice one Brad. Here's the flowers from mine earlier in the year.
Image Image

Betty
Hey, how's that for memory! :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

daiv wrote: Hey, how's that for memory! :wink:
G'day Daiv nothing wrong with your memory :wink:

Betty
Antonio_P

Post by Antonio_P »

Hi. I also have both and I like them too.
It's a pitty that the Echinopsis shows so many dificulties to flower, as I also read, but the plant body is, for itself, great to want to have it.
Lachy

Post by Lachy »

That haku-jo is a great plant. Mine pops out buds every year, but always seems to abort them at the last minute... very frustrating.
Rachael321

Post by Rachael321 »

phil_SK wrote: There is a short article in the journal of the British Cactus and Succulent Society - CactusWorld 2006, 24(4), 225 - which includes a photo of a large flowering plant together with a flower cross section. The flowers are described as being 2cm long (less than an inch) and are basically 2cm of normal Echinopsis bud fluff, with a stigma poking out the end. Nothing that could be described as petals.
just like I posted at the end of this threadhere
Rachael321 wrote:update on the Haku jo for Phil_SK. it has 2 flower spikes about an inch long. One has the ?stigmas sticking out the end on the side. The flower spike that flowered at the start of this thread was much much longer than this, so I guess this is an unsuccessful attempt. Has anyone else seen this on Echinopsis? do you think it still might grow into a proper flower? That's the dried up old flower spike lying in the pot in the second picture.