Holy Smokes!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TimN

Holy Smokes!

Post by TimN »

As a few people have mentioned we got our first 100+ degree days here in the Phoenix, AZ area this week. We just had two days of 107+ weather. Two days of record temps in a row! Humidity in my cactus "shelter" hit a low of 9%.

My data logger told me that it's been over 100F in my cactus shelter from about noon to ten PM. Low temps around 74F at around 8am.

The temps prior to this were fairly mild and a lot of my plants were really growing strong. It will be interesting to see how this affects them. The temps are supposed to be lower over the next few days. They are predicting 66F for the high on Friday.

I won't put my hat and gloves away yet!

Tim
cactusbutt

Re: Holy Smokes!

Post by cactusbutt »

TimN wrote:
I won't put my hat and gloves away yet!

Tim
We had record breaking heat here last week,three days at 95 and one at 101 not all that common here in the rainy PNW but it does happen.Now this week in the low 60s and 40s at night with rain of course.Hope it hasnt put some of my succ's into dormancy as we usually dont get up in the 80s till July.
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

Meanwhile, back east, we've had over 16" of rain in the past 2 weeks and temps that fell to 39F at night.

Both of my A. caput-medusae rotted that I had been growing from seed for 2 years.

More rain later today and all week with highs around 65F.

I'll take the 110 please.
iann

Post by iann »

The record breaking warm and sunny first half of May (it got close to 80F!) has given way to cooler weather but still fairly dry with some sun. 35F at the local weather station a couple of nights ago, but not below 40F in my greenhouse.
--ian
gio

Post by gio »

Even by me time is changed compared to years past, normally in this period had many plants with seeds ready yet I must flourish almost all!!

Giovanni.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Pretty much the same here...intense heat for the past week or so and has now cooled off considerably.
peterb

Post by peterb »

It's crazy windy here already today, dust storms and high winds predicted for later and tomorrow. The weed trees (locusts) are shedding tons of tree trash all over my plants. Has anyone ever used a vaccuum cleaner on cacti? :-)

peterb
Zone 9
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

No on the vacuum. My biggest problem is pretty much over - Oak tree blooms. After the Oaks bloom, they drop millions of 3-4 inch long dead bloom strips which get completely tangled in the spines and I spend the rest of the summer picking them out with tweezers.

Of course since everything I own will probably rot within the next week or 2, it won't be as much of a problem....
TimN

Post by TimN »

I get a lot of tiny Palo Verde leaves on my cacti. They are a pain to get off with tweezers. I hadn't thought of a vacuum. Let us know how it goes, Peter!

I lived in Washington state for 25 years (originally a New Yorker) before moving here about 5 years ago. The weather here is virtually the opposite of WA. Up there we avereraged 250+ days of mostly cloudy or worse. In AZ we have ~75 days of mostly cloudy or worse. In '06 AZ had a record of 143 days with no measurable precipitation. It ended right as the Seattle achieved their third longest record of 24 straight days of measureable precipitation.

No, I don't miss it, not even a little...

Tim
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

peterb wrote:Has anyone ever used a vaccuum cleaner on cacti? :-)
Nope, but i have used my air compressor to clean off plants :D
(but not on Opuntias!)
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

I wonder how the compressed air in cans would work (as long as you don't freeze the plant)
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Ditto on record highs last week and lows in the 60s this week here in Reno/Sparks. As far as precipitation go's, I wouldn't know it if I saw it. :-k We have had no moisture in the valley since the end of Feb. Fire season is only a match away. We have had three 1000acer ones already. Winds knocking over power poles. :? But then I do not have to worry about tornadoes. :D Just the occational earth quake :( sierrarainshadow
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well, as long as it's above freezing I don't complain :) We've been seeing highs around 80 and nights in the 50s to 60s.
Yeah, my kind of weather but it is tornado season here :roll:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

mikayak wrote:I wonder how the compressed air in cans would work (as long as you don't freeze the plant)
I use to get dust,soil and perlite of my plants
works well just dont hold the can upside down
and it wont freeze.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here it has been in the 100's these past days. Today we also have wind advisory's in effect.

Mark