Shade Cloth

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
TimN

Shade Cloth

Post by TimN »

I noticed the shade cloth discussion on another topic and thought I'd create a topic specifically for discussing it.

I just received a product called Aluminet from a company named Polysack. It is shade cloth knitted from silver mylar. They claim light diffusion and heat rejection as key attributes.

I like it so far. It seems pretty durable. You can cut it any way you'd like and it doesn't unravel.

Because heat is more of an issue for me than light, I wanted a solution that would at least try to help with heat rejection. I was not concerned with insect control or anything else, just light and heat. The open mesh of this cloth also helps air circulation. I don't think a finer shade cloth would breathe as freely.

We'll see as the days get hotter if I realize any benefit, heat-wise.

Aluminet can be gotten from several online greenhouse suppliers. I went to the company website and paid about $40 for a 13x20 foot piece, buying direct.

I got the 40% shade version. I use two layers on the peak of my shelter and the west end. The rest of it is single layer.

I can probably get by with a single layer if I figure out a way to get supplemental shade to some of the more sensitive plants.

I thought the comment about using regular window screen was interesting and would probably be pretty economical if it meets your needs.

Here is a small photo of the Aluminet.

Tim
hob

Post by hob »

as i said in the other topic i use this stuff

coolglass

high temps are not a real problem here in the UK and i have 2 roof vents that open automatically as the temp rises plus a louvre window low down to let cool air in at the bottom as the hot air goes out the top.

a lot of my plants grow in grassy area's in the wild and get "dappled" shade so this does a fair impression of that for me. Image

only needs one pack from the box to do that so a box lasts 4 years for about $ 2.00 a year :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

This is the same brand that came with our new greenhouse. I wasn't sure about it's reflective properties as far as a visual when looking at it. I prefer the dull look of none reflective materials, but it was a freebie, so i'll give it a try ;) I do like the extra air flow spacing tho, a must in 100F weather!

I got the 60% shade version.
iann

Post by iann »

The moss and algae that grows on everything in the winter here is all the shading I need :shock: I take some glass out if we get a heatwave.
--ian
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

Because I bought a cheapy greenhouse I have to manually open the window and door when it gets too warm. I use bubble wrap for shading but I also have an electric fan to help with air movement. What should I do when I go on holiday, leave the door and window open? :?
Paul.
iann

Post by iann »

At a minimum, leave the door and window open. Or buy an auto-vent.
--ian
hob

Post by hob »

lordarutha wrote:Because I bought a cheapy greenhouse I have to manually open the window and door when it gets too warm. I use bubble wrap for shading but I also have an electric fan to help with air movement. What should I do when I go on holiday, leave the door and window open? :?
depends on the time of year :?
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
legolas29

Post by legolas29 »

I have been using shade cloth for about 6 months now and am very pleased.

My cloth has the same mesh pattern as shown in the first posting in this thread, but it’s not aluminum. The one I have is white plastic; the color seems effective in reflecting heat and light.

The shade on the floor and on the plants is not from the shade cloth; theses pictures were taken early in the morning when the sun hits this area from an angle, not from overhead. However, you can see the effect of the shade cloth on the side wall.

I got it last fall from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com for around $48.00 U.S. + shipping. The description was “22% White Knitted Shade Cloth 12'wide x 18' long, fabricated”. The fabricated means it has a solid border sewn around the 4 edges and eyelets for hanging.

For the most part, I have been very pleased having this shade cloth in place. My plants are on a rooftop terrace exposed to direct sun. Some of the more delicate species had been prone to sunburn before using the shade cloth. Even though it has been a success so far, I am thinking it would have been better to go with something closer to the order of 50% shade.

legolas29
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I had no idea so many plants grew at such high elevations :lol: Looks like you're on the top floor.

Nice terrace legolas!

I almost got some from that same website (i've ordered other stuff from them before) so good to know the quality is good.