Is A Pox Upon Them?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Stuart

Is A Pox Upon Them?

Post by Stuart »

Hi all,

I have two Opuntia Subulatas that have suddenly started shedding the cylindrical, runner-bean shaped "leaves" that protrude from each areole. Since they've both started doing it at the same time, is this normal behaviour or have they both become damaged somehow? At the moment they look OK with no obvious signs of rot or anything.
They are the same age (about 20 months), they are both about four feet tall and live in a heated greenhouse. I've always watered them at the same time too, although not for several weeks now because of winter. (Maybe they just need a bit of water? - silly question, but I'm obviously reluctant to water them at this time of year, hence the post)

Thanks.
KactusKathi

Post by KactusKathi »

I am not familiar with that type of cactus so I can not answer specifically. I am wondering why you are not watering your cactus? In winter outdoors they get moisure if not from rain, then from condensation! Although all my cactus are outdoors I make sure they are watered if not by mother nature then by me. Also, a cactus will let you know when it is in need of water by starting to shirvel up! The cactus it would seem to me would not know it is winter if it is in a greenhouse in a constant environment, so therefore would need the same amount of water!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Stuart,
I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the leaves falling. I believe that is a matter of maturing. I have a couple pictures of a mature specimen from the Huntington. See here: http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... s=subulata

O. subulata has been renamed Austrocylindropuntia subulata and of all the ones I've seen, they all loose the leaves after a year or so. Opuntia and Cylindropuntia both have leaves like that too, only they'll usually loose them within a matter of months or even weeks. When they start growing again in spring, the new growth should have leaves again.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Many thanks for the info, everyone. It's reassuring to know this is normal behaviour. Since I posted last week, the plants have shed about 50% of their "leaves" from the main trunks but otherwise still look fine.

Thanks again.