grafts I would like to share

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
buck tumbleweed

grafts I would like to share

Post by buck tumbleweed »

I have been going nuts waiting for my pereskiopsis to get up to grafting size as I have a few hundred cactus sdlgs I want to graft,so heres a few pics of grafts I have gotten done .PatrickImagelopho
Imagelopho
Imagetaquimbalensis center cut graft
Imagehuanucoensis and glaucus grafts
Imagebridgesii starting to lift
Imagetricho sdlgs
Imagetricho sdlgs
Imagetricho sdlgs
Imagetricho sdlgs
Imagetricho sdlgs
Imagepedro crest graft
Imageuncertain tricho sdlg
Imageterscheckii graft
Imageperuvianus/juuls giant crest graft
Imagebridgesii
Imagesm peru/juuls giant crest grft for friend
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

WOW :shock: you sure have been busy!!
They look great.
I like your tape method with the tricho seedlings in the long planter box.

The peruvianus/juuls giant crest graft looks alot like a Mytillo geo crest...?
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

It looks like you tape them down quite hard Patrick, I think maybe that is where I could be gowing wrong. You do like a graft don't you. :D
Paul.
buck tumbleweed

Coronacactus ,I get most of my cuttings from ss they have quite an extensive collection of trichocereus to choose from ,i WAITED QUITE SOME TIME TO GET A HOLD OF THAT PERUVIANUS /JUULS GIANT CREST (darn CAP LOCK) I can assure you that it is a tricho I do however have a myrtillocactus geometrizans crest graft also I will find a pic and post it,I have a pile of pics to go thru so it might take me a day to find it,if I dont I'LL just take another,I would really like to get my hands on a t. bridgesii crest.
thanks for checking them out.
Lordarutha,It is important to put some pressure down though you dont really need much though I ran into a problem with one of my regular bridgesii grafts as I took off the tie downs to soon and one side is lifting up I believe it will continue to grow but still is a good I dea to let set for a while with it tied down thanks for looking.
As for the long box I just got lazy about bringing in so many different pots for these smaller grafts so I thought this would make life a little simpler.
I really need to graft many of these seedlings I have as I need to get them up to a profitable size so that I can sell enough to purchase a greenhouse asap once they are ready which I should be able to have some ready by the end of summer,I just cant afford to lose anymore cactus, the last 3 years have cost me around 2000.00 to losing cactus to frost and I just cant fit them all in the house anymore .Patrick
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

buck tumbleweed wrote:the last 3 years have cost me around 2000.00 to losing cactus to frost and I just cant fit them all in the house anymore .Patrick
Thanks for the tip and good greif you have had a hard time. I hope all goes well for you and you get the greenhouse soon.
Paul.
buck tumbleweed

I just wanted to mention I normally dont like to think about grafting some many plants but I really need a green house for all my cactus and other botanicals for wintering,but also I would really like to have a small version of a botanical garden to have my cactus and botanicals and ethno's in, about a 40 x 40 foot green house,it would be much nicer to have outside but winter here in southern georgia is not so cooperative,also patrick would like to buy another fatboy to replace the one I had to give up (At the time I was forced to sell my harley I didnt realize it would be such a heartbreaking ordeal).So once I can purchase these two items I can relax and grow the way they should be ,while I plan to graft many of my sdlgs I do have quite a few I'm keeping back to grow naturally.Patrick
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

Well good luck Patrick, I hope it all goes smoothly for you and I know all to well about giving up a loved vehicle. I have a 1965 MK 1 Cortina which is going to be sold as I can't afford to keep it any longer :(
Paul.
buck tumbleweed

I grafted 2 more trichocereus sdlgs

I have been wanting to experiment with using opuntia cylindrica for grafting and now I have 2 trichocereus sdlgs that have just started to fatten up on the opuntia base the first pic is a peruvianus and the other sdlg is either werdermannianus or macrogonus due to my not tagging each sdlg when I started they got mixed up so I still have a few unknowns left to graft,anyways here are the pics anD i will update them soon with any new growth.PatrickImage
I know patrick still needs to learn how to take a sharper pic that is more easily viewed.
echinopsis ed

Post by echinopsis ed »

Some nice grafting there Buck, I particularly like this one.

The experiment in the pot in the top left hand corner if successful, could be benefical to future male generations in gaining some extra length. :lol: I'll be interested in seeing the grafting results of this specimen. :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Patrick,
You really have grafting figured out. I don't think I ever saw a columnar grafted to a columnar before. Is that just an experiment or what are your thoughts on that? 3rd pic down for example...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
buck tumbleweed

hello all I have many more grafts in the works today I just transplanted 24 opuntia cylindrica cactus into a singular rectangular pot ,it is easier if I keep them in one pot with as many as I have grafted I dont have the room to keep them all in seperate pots but anyways I'm grafting mostly trichocereus sdlgs tomorrow when I finish grafting I will post pics.
EHINOPSIS ED,T he penis plant in the pic is not a graft I dont plan to graft my penis plants yet if at all right now as I have so many sdlgs to graft .

DAIV,If you are speaking of the taquimbalensis center cut this paticular graft was to speed up growth of new offsets as I'm trying to increase the numbers of taquimbalensis I have as is with a few other species ,I really enjoy growing cactus and even just looking over them and my other botanicals but I wish to obtain enough of each species that I can fill a greenhouse someday to walk into and view like a small botanical garden ,
where I can sit and enjoy having so many varieties but also I enjoy being able to have enough to help others out with their collections .
right now my only set back is that I need to graft and grow some of these species to sell in order to purchase a greenhouse,
after such time I will continue to collect as many grow and graft as many species and varieties as I can to fill my own collection but also to have enough of each to help fill someone elses collection .
I think this is much more enjoyable when I can trade botanicals with people and not involve money other than funds for shipping,I know most people do these things for money and with the amount of species I have left to get I will be spending much of it ,but my goal is to eventually have enough that I can share without having to sell ,
the kind of happiness I get from growing these botanicals and being able to help add one to someone elses collection I cant get from charging someone for it.
sorry so long,I hope I answered your question somewhere in my rambling on.Later,Patrick
buck tumbleweed

I would just like to add I would rather watch these cacti grow at a normally natural pace but I'm in a hurry I guess you could say to obtain as many cactus as I can get them to a more visually enjoyable height and then ungraft and let them reroot themselves.
I know patience(sp?) is a virtue ,when I get another 150 or so species that I'm interseted in I will slow down and let them grow at their own pace.If I havent been pricked to death by all the spines by then.Patrick
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think this is much more enjoyable when I can trade botanicals with people and not involve money other than funds for shipping,I know most people do these things for money and with the amount of species I have left to get I will be spending much of it ,but my goal is to eventually have enough that I can share without having to sell ,
This is great and hopefully we will get more and more activity in this area. Tim V. really helped get this going. All the new folks growing seed (including me) should ensure a healthy bit of trading in the future here. It is really hard to get many of these plants any other way.

In a way it is too bad that international trade is not easier, but I understand why it is that way -for the most part. :roll:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
buck tumbleweed

I had hoped to get further along toady with my grafting but I'm only about half way through I still have another 12 sdlgs to graft I will get pics up when I finish .
I will try again to post my grow/trade list soon I have tried this twice only to finish typing all the species and varieties and hit the submit button and have it all disappear why this has happened I dont know for sure but I sometimes get doing to many things on my computer at once and run into problems although this paticular incident has not happen befor this ,anyways I will soon add my list .Patrick
buck tumbleweed

I just finished grafting the rest of the trichocereus sdlgs today no pics yet as I have been moving many of my cacti back outside and also planting more seed ,I will follow up in a few day when I have some other pics to share,
I just removed the tape from my glaucus grafts and soon will be removing tape from huanucoensis and some others once I get that done I will post pics.Patrick