When to repot Lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
FredBW

When to repot Lithops

Post by FredBW »

I am somewhat new to Lithops. Inherited some years ago and killed them in short order. Got these at a local nursery a few days ago.
They are in mostly organic soil,and I am wondering when do I get them out of it. Normally with a cactus caked in peat. I blast the roots clean with a garden hose. As someone in the archives put it. I'm afraid if they even see a garden hose they will rot. :)
So if I do it now without water. I will probably do severe damage to the roots because the soil is so caked. Do I wait until it's time to water when the new plant emerges so I can use water to "uncake" the soil? Just wondering what the best way to do this is.
TIA... Fred
thumbnail_IMG_1854.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1854.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
thumbnail_IMG_1853.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1853.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
C And D

Re: When to repot Lithops

Post by C And D »

I would just rip them apart dry
and clean off the roots best you can
leave the main root intact

I then like to let the plants rest unrooted a couple days or a week for the wounds to heal
then pot up with new soil
then wait a couple months before watering, since it's still Winter

Lithops can take normal cactus mix with some peat
as long as it dries completely
As you can see many nurseries use a high peat soil, and they do just fine,
as long as you water them at the right time

I don't water my Lithops until Late march or april
Seedlings do get water sparingly
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Thanks for the reply. I just tried to separate them and backed out. I think I would have torn the roots completely off at least one. I'll give them a few days and put them in a bigger pot with cactus soil and construction sand.
They were very reasonable,and I think I will go back and get a couple more for better odds
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I repot Lithops in the spring soon after the new leaves completely emerge. Usually around April in my zone and at that point they have already had their first water. But they should handle repotting anytime before the fall (to give them enough time to establish before winter).

For peat mixes, I submerge the pot in water to soak and soften the peat. I then pull apart the Lithops, clean and trim the roots pretty short, then leave to dry for several days to a couple weeks (they won't mind being unpotted for longer though).

I repotted several plants last spring, and I thought I took pictures, but I couldn't find them. I did find a pic of Lithops I bought from Mesa Garden a few years ago. I trim the roots down to around the length shown in the pic. Makes for easy communal potting! :)
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

:wink: Thanks for the reply. If I get all 3 to new leaves I will try to separate them. Dry it isn't going to happen without some serious damage.
I am going to get a few cacti from Miles to go,and I am going to order 3 or 4 lithops as well. I'll get some experience one war or another :wink: