Do variegated G. Ragonesi exist?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keithp2012

Do variegated G. Ragonesi exist?

Post by keithp2012 »

I’ve never seen these in variegated form, has anyone ever seen one or gotten variegated from seed growing? I’ve been looking for one for years.
Aiko

Re: Do variegated G. Ragonesi exist?

Post by Aiko »

Why look when you can see if you can grow one yourself from seeds. Buy a few hundreds or - better - thousands seeds and see what different kind of Gymnocalycijm ragonesi pops up. You can keep the prettiest ones and give away the rest. Seeds are not hard to get and in bulk not that expensive from the right source (I advice Czech seed sellers).
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

keithp2012 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:58 pm I’ve never seen these in variegated form, has anyone ever seen one or gotten variegated from seed growing? I’ve been looking for one for years.
I have seen some offered by Bulgarian commercial nursery at a price of 15€ for grafted specimen. Not very appealing in my opinion:
Attachments
G. ragonesei CV variegata.png
G. ragonesei CV variegata.png (350.49 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Aiko wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm Why look when you can see if you can grow one yourself from seeds. Buy a few hundreds or - better - thousands seeds and see what different kind of Gymnocalycijm ragonesi pops up. You can keep the prettiest ones and give away the rest. Seeds are not hard to get and in bulk not that expensive from the right source (I advice Czech seed sellers).
I have done that with two batches from my own specimen , 100% were normal colored. Keep in mind it takes nearly two years to get true coloring and it’s very time consuming. I’ve resorted to searching for one at this point.
Last edited by keithp2012 on Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Nino_G wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:15 pm
keithp2012 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:58 pm I’ve never seen these in variegated form, has anyone ever seen one or gotten variegated from seed growing? I’ve been looking for one for years.
I have seen some offered by Bulgarian commercial nursery at a price of 15€ for grafted specimen. Not very appealing in my opinion:
Grafted forms don’t grow or color true like on own roots. If I could get hold of that and grow seed from it then I bet those would be much more attractive looking.