My first cactus bloom of 2024 on Jan 5

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
loyall

My first cactus bloom of 2024 on Jan 5

Post by loyall »

M microheliopsis may not have a very showy blossom, but it means spring is on the way.
IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0231.jpg (89.35 KiB) Viewed 6944 times
Tom in Tucson

Re: My first cactus bloom of 2024 on Jan 5

Post by Tom in Tucson »

loyall

Post by loyall »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:33 pm Nice pic it's most likely a https://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Ma ... microhelia
What I inferred from the CactiGuide description of M. microhelia is that the variant microheliopsis has pink-striped blossoms like mine.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

loyall wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:40 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:33 pm Nice pic it's most likely a https://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Ma ... microhelia
What I inferred from the CactiGuide description of M. microhelia is that the variant microheliopsis has pink-striped blossoms like mine.
That opinion has been the subject of debate for decades. Some people claim that the light yellow flowered types are a result of hybridization with a closely related species such as Mammillaria elongata, while others claim that like M. giselae, both colors are not worthy of varietal recognition.
loyall

Post by loyall »

That opinion has been the subject of debate for decades. Some people claim that the light yellow flowered types are a result of hybridization with a closely related species such as Mammillaria elongata, while others claim that like M. giselae, both colors are not worthy of varietal recognition.

So you maintain that variant microheliopsis should not be recognized, as Daiv has done on CactiGuide.com? As a novice cactiphile I bow to your superior knowledge.