Rooting euphorbia virosa cutting

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
kak tus

Rooting euphorbia virosa cutting

Post by kak tus »

Hi,

I've tried rooting this cutting of - possibly - E. virosa for a year but no success. Tried rooting hormone powder, putting it in soil for the longest time.

Here is a photo of the bottom of the cutting. More patience, give it another year? Cut off a small section of the bottom again, dry and try rooting again?
Attachments
virosa.jpg
virosa.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
Tom in Tucson

Re: Rooting euphorbia virosa cutting

Post by Tom in Tucson »

kak tus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:51 am Hi,

I've tried rooting this cutting of - possibly - E. virosa for a year but no success. Tried rooting hormone powder, putting it in soil for the longest time.

Here is a photo of the bottom of the cutting. More patience, give it another year? Cut off a small section of the bottom again, dry and try rooting again?
Perhaps grafting is the only solution left.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Maybe dried tissue is too hard for roots to grow through? Cut it (dark dead dry tissue) very tenderly(!) away, maybe you'll find top of the roots there. Did you hold it in vertical position? This spesies is soooo easy. :)
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have zero experience w/ grafting. Will try to cut the dead tissue away first.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I had an Opuntia I bought off of ebay a couple years ago. I got it in early summer. Put it in a pot with some cactus mix. But for the most part never put it into the direct sun because I figured since it had no roots it would dry out and burn in no time.
It never rooted even into the following spring. It was all dehydrated and looked like a piece of beef jerky. I figured I had nothing to lose. So I put it in the ground where I am trying to start a cactus garden in an extremely hot and sunny spot. Within a week or two it started to inflate. It had to be taking on water. Within 3 weeks it greened up and had obviously taken root.
You didn't say where you were keeping it,and I realize it isn't an opuntia.. But if you are doing like me and babying it. Might want to put it into heat and full sun next opportunity.
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

FredBW wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:51 pm I had an Opuntia I bought off of ebay a couple years ago. I got it in early summer. Put it in a pot with some cactus mix. But for the most part never put it into the direct sun because I figured since it had no roots it would dry out and burn in no time.
It never rooted even into the following spring. It was all dehydrated and looked like a piece of beef jerky. I figured I had nothing to lose. So I put it in the ground where I am trying to start a cactus garden in an extremely hot and sunny spot. Within a week or two it started to inflate. It had to be taking on water. Within 3 weeks it greened up and had obviously taken root.
You didn't say where you were keeping it,and I realize it isn't an opuntia.. But if you are doing like me and babying it. Might want to put it into heat and full sun next opportunity.
I put it in the shade previously. Thanks for the tip - might be time to go all or nothing