Adi's collections - monthly update

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Wiandry Adi

Adi's collections - monthly update

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Welcome to my collections' thread where I will share with you some of my garden's highlight as some of you have requested. I've planned that this thread will be updated monthly, hopefully it'll be consistent.

Let's start this thread with this month's highlight: blue cacti! Blue plants always have a special place in my heart because the color blue is just... special for me. Look at the sky. How blue is it? Look at the ocean. How gorgeous its blue is? Look at hyacinth macaws (and cassowaries). How striking blue can be on animals?

Always being told and taught plants must be green, then found out plants can be blue, it's just setting a reminder that whatever we know isn't always right or truthful: gotta keep exploring until we found reality can indeed be stranger than fiction.

Anyway, what took me so long to post this? Well, I've been 'renovating' my garden since it's been so windy recently, my plants got toppled all over the place. Since then, I decided to add some support for them: a plenty of floor tiles just to make them level enough and be able to withstand wind better. Though I may need to work on my defense against feral cats and rats.

With that posted, here's this month's highlight. Enjoy!
Attachments
Lophophora williamsii. Its pup grew faster than seedlings surrounding it
Lophophora williamsii. Its pup grew faster than seedlings surrounding it
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.26 (1).jpeg (141.59 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
Pilosocereus azureus. Finally gave new growth after waiting for 6 months
Pilosocereus azureus. Finally gave new growth after waiting for 6 months
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.26.jpeg (130.55 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
Another pilocereus azureus
Another pilocereus azureus
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.27.jpeg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
Melocactus azureus. It's going strong still!
Melocactus azureus. It's going strong still!
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.27 (1).jpeg (157.14 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
Ariocarpus retusus. Finally got this bad boy after years of waiting
Ariocarpus retusus. Finally got this bad boy after years of waiting
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.25 (1).jpeg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
Cipocereus bradei. When will it grow?
Cipocereus bradei. When will it grow?
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.24.jpeg (136.85 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
Opuntia miquellii (or Miqueliopuntia miquellii). Slow grower, but still going strong!
Opuntia miquellii (or Miqueliopuntia miquellii). Slow grower, but still going strong!
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.25.jpeg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
BONUS: Euphorbia persistens. A little bit sunburned, but look how flourishing its new growth is! (I know it's not a cactus; it's just as blue!)
BONUS: Euphorbia persistens. A little bit sunburned, but look how flourishing its new growth is! (I know it's not a cactus; it's just as blue!)
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.28.jpeg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
The victims of intense sun in Jakarta. I don't know when they'll recover; I just hope their roots are still fine
The victims of intense sun in Jakarta. I don't know when they'll recover; I just hope their roots are still fine
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.29.jpeg (177.68 KiB) Viewed 22400 times
BONUS: Euphorbia buruana. Striped and fierce like a tiger!
BONUS: Euphorbia buruana. Striped and fierce like a tiger!
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-30 at 08.38.28 (1).jpeg (164.23 KiB) Viewed 22395 times
Tropical region, summer all year long
12 hours of sunlight (shaded by 1 p.m.)
Rains often from September to February
24°C at night, 32°-34°C at evening
Mix: scoria, pumice, zeolite, bamboo humus, and kanuma
Fertilizing may vary
Hanazono

Re: Adi's collections - monthly update

Post by Hanazono »

I think your ariocarpus retusus is not a standard one. It is a cultivar, retusus v furfuraceus cv Daruma Seije which has round tubercles and seiji colour body.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Very nice blue cactus collection! I was gonna say that retusus was looking quite distinctive and now I see my intuition was right, and Hanazono has identified it as a cultivar.
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Hanazono wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:01 am I think your ariocarpus retusus is not a standard one. It is a cultivar, retusus v furfuraceus cv Daruma Seije which has round tubercles and seiji colour body.
Thank you for your kind reply, that is a good news! The seller didn't specify that when I asked about this peculiar cactus, stated it's indeed an Ariocarpus retusus but didn't say any further. Maybe that explained of all three Ariocarpus cacti I got, that bad boy is the most expensive. Doesn't matter; it looks nice and plump and hopefully, stay with me for years to come. Here's the rest of my current Ariocarpus; I'm planning to get A. fissuratus (pure species, cultivar, doesn't matter) and perhaps A. trigonus.

I'll look forward to this 'Daruma Seije' cultivar. I understand Japanese a little bit so that may mean something cool and fitting to its characteristics.
MrXeric wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:06 am Very nice blue cactus collection! I was gonna say that retusus was looking quite distinctive and now I see my intuition was right, and Hanazono has identified it as a cultivar.
Thank you for your reply as well! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Hopefully I will be able to share more in the upcoming time!
Attachments
My current Ariocarpus
My current Ariocarpus
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-01 at 12.08.45.jpeg (224.56 KiB) Viewed 22338 times
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Adi's collections - October update

Post by Wiandry Adi »

We’ve entered the end of October and things are just getting bushier! With added gypsum, the plants are now feeling the Spooktober spirit. Can you hear the bones tingling and the trumpets doot?

Nothing’s really spooky about my garden now, but this month’s highlight will be Flowers! Yes, my cacti have flowered, and it surprised anyone who saw it, since they never know cacti bear flowers too. While the numbers are still scarce, but for me, this is off to a great start! Flowers galore!

It’s still scorchin’ hot here in Jakarta, while some folks stated it’ll be raining soon. Still going 35°C strong, my plants and I will wait for the victorious rain after months of torment! While few of them didn’t make it and some had to get intense care after being knocked down by the crazy wind, I’m preparing for whatever it takes to get to the sweet, sweet rainwater.
Attachments
These blooms reminded me of sunflowers!
These blooms reminded me of sunflowers!
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.23.jpeg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 22142 times
The pretty gymno bloom
The pretty gymno bloom
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.22 (2).jpeg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 22142 times
I feel this bloom should be bigger...
I feel this bloom should be bigger...
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.22 (1).jpeg (150.69 KiB) Viewed 22142 times
This 'loco lopho' has been flowering for crazy this month, for three times already!
This 'loco lopho' has been flowering for crazy this month, for three times already!
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.21 (1).jpeg (118.11 KiB) Viewed 22142 times
Adenium flowers too
Adenium flowers too
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-31 at 07.13.34.jpeg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 22142 times
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Some other cool updates:
Attachments
Dates! After months failing to grow them, now I have found a way to eventually made them germinate! They'll be repotted once their second leaves are long enough
Dates! After months failing to grow them, now I have found a way to eventually made them germinate! They'll be repotted once their second leaves are long enough
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-31 at 07.13.37.jpeg (174.12 KiB) Viewed 22139 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.22.jpeg (189.73 KiB) Viewed 22139 times
We got a visitor!
We got a visitor!
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.21 (2).jpeg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 22139 times
Thankfully the hybrid Euphorbia healed from the sunburn. Now it's back for action!
Thankfully the hybrid Euphorbia healed from the sunburn. Now it's back for action!
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.16 (1).jpeg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 22139 times
The tephrocactus articulatus var. papyrachantus. It's growing slow but steady
The tephrocactus articulatus var. papyrachantus. It's growing slow but steady
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.16.jpeg (158.13 KiB) Viewed 22139 times
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

OK, so I've been asked on how many plants there are in my garden. Well, last time I counted and there were about 600 plants. Yes, six. Hundred. I didn’t even notice that my collection has grown to such numbers for an individually-managed garden! I also suspect this is why it took an entire weekend to water them all and I’m often get tired while I’m not even doing spectacular movesets.

Here's what it looks like:
Attachments
With 50-liters bucket to scale
With 50-liters bucket to scale
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 08.42.21.jpeg (146.04 KiB) Viewed 22137 times
Fertilizing may vary
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Beautiful plants. That Melocactus seems to be concinnus, not azureus.
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:43 am Beautiful plants. That Melocactus seems to be concinnus, not azureus.
The seller stated it is azureus, though after looking at photos of concinnus, I may still be convinced it's the former. I don't mind tho :lol: except in the future when I get more serious and having bigger, more accommodating space.

Thanks for your reply, by the way
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Adi's collections - November update

Post by Wiandry Adi »

It's December and I kinda lost track on my monthly update; ironic, as I think monthly update would be more easily manageable. Okay, without further ado, let's dive in!

So, the dreaded drought is about to end, and we got tons of humidity and increasingly more rain and thunderstorms to boot. It's now the time to be more vigilant of fungi that may be lurking beneath the shadows and ready to snatch! Although, that may be the case for me years ago when I didn't understand about mix porosity and making holes at the sides of the pots. I'll keep my eyes peeled so I can prevent more plant deaths (as I've lost a couple recently thanks to the rain ](*,) )
Turbinicarpus alonsoi blooming. Its color is rather too vivid/vibrant for my eyes and I'm not a fan of it
Turbinicarpus alonsoi blooming. Its color is rather too vivid/vibrant for my eyes and I'm not a fan of it
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.54 (1).jpeg (111.79 KiB) Viewed 21789 times
Astrophytum blooming. It has a gentler color to my eyes and I love it
Astrophytum blooming. It has a gentler color to my eyes and I love it
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.10 (4).jpeg (106.58 KiB) Viewed 21789 times
Another Astrophytum blooming. This one is quite a fighter as it's been struggling to keep itself plump for weeks. Let's see where it goes
Another Astrophytum blooming. This one is quite a fighter as it's been struggling to keep itself plump for weeks. Let's see where it goes
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.10 (3).jpeg (120.88 KiB) Viewed 21789 times
Ferocactus blooming again! Not exactly this often before I changed my fertilizer routine thanks to Steve and co.
Ferocactus blooming again! Not exactly this often before I changed my fertilizer routine thanks to Steve and co.
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.10 (1).jpeg (92.7 KiB) Viewed 21789 times
This time, the Lophophora brings it double; here comes trouble, and make it double!
This time, the Lophophora brings it double; here comes trouble, and make it double!
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.10.jpeg (103.3 KiB) Viewed 21789 times
Last edited by Wiandry Adi on Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Re: Adi's collections - November update

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Here's the bonus thread for non-cacti plants that I think deserve the spotlight as well... since y'know, some of these are my first-timer.
Pachypodium saundersii double-blooming. Such lovely pinkish flowers!
Pachypodium saundersii double-blooming. Such lovely pinkish flowers!
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.54.jpeg (109.54 KiB) Viewed 21787 times
Plumeria rubra blooming after being in my care for two years and more. It's a cutting though, so it flowers faster than the seedlings
Plumeria rubra blooming after being in my care for two years and more. It's a cutting though, so it flowers faster than the seedlings
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.10 (2).jpeg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 21787 times
Another Pachypodium saundersii blooming. Question: how do you pronounce 'Pachypodium'? Is it 'pa-chee' or 'pa-key'?
Another Pachypodium saundersii blooming. Question: how do you pronounce 'Pachypodium'? Is it 'pa-chee' or 'pa-key'?
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-01 at 05.59.08.jpeg (102.44 KiB) Viewed 21787 times
Fertilizing may vary
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I can understand flowers being a bit too intense. My T. alonsoi are too young to flower, but my Trichodiadema densum and Echinocereus pulchellus have these intense, magenta flowers that can be quite blinding in the sun that I have to look away before long!

Pachypodium is something I haven't tried growing yet. Apparently they grow relatively fast from seed and can reach flowering size within a couple years? I should try sowing seed one day. As for pronunciation, "pa-key" is probably close to what it should be. I looked it up and pachy comes from the Greek pakhus, which means "thick". The "kh" there stands for the Greek letter "chi" (pronounced like "kai", looks like an "X") and sounds something like the "ch" in the German ich or in the Scottish English loch. What I would describe as a hard "H" sound. That sound doesn't exist in American English, as far as I know, so "pa-key" is good enough for me. :D
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

MrXeric wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:26 am I can understand flowers being a bit too intense. My T. alonsoi are too young to flower, but my Trichodiadema densum and Echinocereus pulchellus have these intense, magenta flowers that can be quite blinding in the sun that I have to look away before long!

Pachypodium is something I haven't tried growing yet. Apparently they grow relatively fast from seed and can reach flowering size within a couple years? I should try sowing seed one day. As for pronunciation, "pa-key" is probably close to what it should be. I looked it up and pachy comes from the Greek pakhus, which means "thick". The "kh" there stands for the Greek letter "chi" (pronounced like "kai", looks like an "X") and sounds something like the "ch" in the German ich or in the Scottish English loch. What I would describe as a hard "H" sound. That sound doesn't exist in American English, as far as I know, so "pa-key" is good enough for me. :D

The pronunciation of the plant genus IMHO should sound like the term used for an elephant (pachyderm);

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages
pach·y·derm
/ˈpakəˌdərm/
noun
noun: pachyderm; plural noun: pachyderms

For podium;

po·di·um
/ˈpōdēəm/
noun
a small platform on which a person may stand to be seen by an audience, as when making a speech or conducting an orchestra.

So Pachypodium should be pronounced PAK-E-PODEUM
Wiandry Adi

Re: Adi's collections - November update

Post by Wiandry Adi »

MrXeric wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:26 am I can understand flowers being a bit too intense. My T. alonsoi are too young to flower, but my Trichodiadema densum and Echinocereus pulchellus have these intense, magenta flowers that can be quite blinding in the sun that I have to look away before long!
Yeah, while I agree those colors are impressive, it seems it's not for someone with special needs like I am. But that doesn't mean I don't like it; the Turbinicarpus has glaucous tubercles/body which is what I'm looking for, so no hard feelings for that little cactus. Maybe I'll leave the flowers for someone else to admire, or perhaps for local bees around to enjoy :D
Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:11 pm

The pronunciation of the plant genus IMHO should sound like the term used for an elephant (pachyderm);

Dictionary
pach·y·derm
/ˈpakəˌdərm/
noun
noun: pachyderm; plural noun: pachyderms

For podium;

po·di·um
/ˈpōdēəm/
noun
a small platform on which a person may stand to be seen by an audience, as when making a speech or conducting an orchestra.

So Pachypodium should be pronounced PAK-E-PODEUM
For the record, first I know the genus, I did pronounce it as such; however, after went to several plant events in which some vendors spelt them 'pa-chee-podium', and somehow corrected my pronunciation, I went doubtful. But thanks to you, I'm confident to stick with 'pak-e-podeum' and perhaps recite your sources every time someone (and vendors) try to correct my pronunciation again :lol:
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Re: Adi's collections - December update

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Happy belated Holidays, everyone! In this December update, I'd show some important stuffs that happened this month:
  • The weather got wetter and more humid, and therefore more rain. Thanks to this, I can skip waterings and only go with once every two weeks, for now
  • Some plants kicked the bucket: a Euphorbia obesa, Mammillaria schumanii, Orbea sp, and - unexpectedly - Pseudolithos miguirtinus. I replaced them with Echinopsis cacti which I found are more resistant and financially cheaper.
  • The feisty Lophophora bloomed like crazy. Now it sprouted three flowers and its pups sprouted flowers as well. At the time it happened, I didn't get to photograph it.
  • Stapelia gigantea bloomed! I waited for weeks for a bloom that lasted only a day. Sources I see stated this plant's flower smells like decomposed meat akin to flowers of Amorphophallus titanum or Rafflesia. Yes, I smelled it but surprisingly, it's only a bit and no one in the house complained about 'some putrid smell'. Weird. Perhaps it already bloomed at night since when I saw it bloomed, it already lost its vigor but otherwise still bloomed so I can photograph it.
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 06.17.41.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 06.17.41.jpeg (85.97 KiB) Viewed 19878 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 06.17.40.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 06.17.40.jpeg (96.35 KiB) Viewed 19878 times
With this New Year coming, I've now planned to save/make more money to invest in a greenhouse so I expect no more plants being added for a while but I'll try to get updates whenever possible.

Bonus: a flower of Plumeria pudica, another species of Plumeria I grow. Pure white, a symbol of purity according to the local cultures.
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 06.17.41 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 06.17.41 (1).jpeg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 19878 times
Fertilizing may vary