Nice to meet you all from Indonesia (and an overview on my plant journey)

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

Re: Fertilizer dosage - weight or volume?

Post by Steve Johnson »

I can't base this on anything other than intuition, but I have more confidence in your 1/2 teaspoon measures than I do in your 1-teaspoon measures. Such being the case, I offer a counter-proposal:
  • Pak Tani 16-16-16 : 1/2 tsp. x 2
  • PROVIT Orange: 1/2 tsp.
  • Mutiara GROWER: 1/2 tsp. x 3
Now we'll go through the numbers:
  • Pak Tani 16-16-16 -- 1/2 tsp. = 2.73 grams (0.44 g N, 0.19 g P, 0.36 g K), x 2 = 0.88 g N, 0.38 g P, 0.72 g K
  • PROVIT Orange 8-9-39 -- 1/2 tsp. = 3.71 g (0.30 g N, 0.15 g P, 1.20 g K)
  • Multiara GROWER 15-9-20 -- 1/2 tsp. = 3.00 g (0.45 g N, 0.15 g P, 0.50 g K), x 3 = 1.35 g N, 0.45 g P, 1.50 g K
The grand total is 2.53 g N, 0.98 g P, and 3.42 g K. Plug those numbers into the Calculate This! calculator -- N...

N_ppm.jpg
N_ppm.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 391908 times
...P...

P_ppm.jpg
P_ppm.jpg (23 KiB) Viewed 391908 times
...and K:

K_ppm.jpg
K_ppm.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 391908 times
Time to check the NPK ratio: 20 ppm P/51 ppm N = 0.39 (not bad) and 68 ppm K/51 ppm N = 1.33 (quite good), the nutrient dosages per feeding are good too. Even though your ferts will be a little more or a little less when you dilute with the measuring spoons, IMO it's not something you should worry about. And now you're ready for step 6 -- dilute the ferts, give them a little bit of time to fully dissolve, give the water a good stirring, then test the pH of the water. When you provide me with the number, we'll see if the ferts change the pH of your tap water.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Wiandry Adi

Re: More details on my fertilizers

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Thank you so much for the calculations, Steve! Calculate This! is a handy website, since I see it can help calculate quite lots of stuff, although most of the time, I need to go 'round and 'round to convert metric to imperial numbers and vice versa. By the way,
Wiandry Adi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:46 am
The final one is this micronutrient fert (as a complementary for the absent micronutrients in my 3-0-2 mix):
According to the label, it's written as 1-2 ml/L per weekly feeding (7 to 10 days), but I feel I shall apply in fewer quantity than that.
Wiandry Adi wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:07 am
- Here is the METALIK micronutrient fert’s value (in hundreds or thousands ppm):
  • Mg: 500 ppm
  • Fe: 5.751 ppm
  • Co: 405 ppm
  • Mn: 24.425 ppm
  • Zn: 4.573 ppm
  • B: 2.152 ppm
  • Mo: 1.920 ppm
  • Cu: 4.488 ppm
  • Ni: 441 ppm
  • 4.5% organic acid (the manufacturer doesn’t precisely list what kind)
  • 5% protein (not a necessary component but it may be useful for calculations and considerations)
Here's the fert's micronutrient value
Tropical region, summer all year long
12 hours of sunlight (shaded by 1 p.m.)
Rains often from September to February
24°C at night, 32°-34°C at evening
Mix: scoria, pumice, zeolite, bamboo humus, and kanuma
Fertilizing may vary
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Wiandry Adi wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:50 am Thank you so much for the calculations, Steve! Calculate This! is a handy website, since I see it can help calculate quite lots of stuff, although most of the time, I need to go 'round and 'round to convert metric to imperial numbers and vice versa. By the way,
Wiandry Adi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:46 am
The final one is this micronutrient fert (as a complementary for the absent micronutrients in my 3-0-2 mix):
According to the label, it's written as 1-2 ml/L per weekly feeding (7 to 10 days), but I feel I shall apply in fewer quantity than that.
Wiandry Adi wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:07 am
- Here is the METALIK micronutrient fert’s value (in hundreds or thousands ppm):
  • Mg: 500 ppm
  • Fe: 5.751 ppm
  • Co: 405 ppm
  • Mn: 24.425 ppm
  • Zn: 4.573 ppm
  • B: 2.152 ppm
  • Mo: 1.920 ppm
  • Cu: 4.488 ppm
  • Ni: 441 ppm
  • 4.5% organic acid (the manufacturer doesn’t precisely list what kind)
  • 5% protein (not a necessary component but it may be useful for calculations and considerations)
Here's the fert's micronutrient value
Always a pleasure, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to exercise my math skills (such as they are).

In the hierarchy of micronutrients, iron is one of the most important ones. The Fe in my General Hydroponics FloraMicro is 0.1%, and it works out to be 0.65 ppm (that's 650 parts-per-billion) in my watering solution. In the fertilizer dilutions I just gave you, your watering solution will contain 0.11 ppm Fe, so unfortunately the PROVIT Orange's micronutrients come up short. Going by 1 ml/l per Metalik's label, 5 ml in 50 liters of water will give you 0.58 ppm Fe -- add it to the 0.11 Fe from the PROVIT, and 0.69 ppm is consistent with what I would expect. The rest of the micronutrient dosages look good. If you don't want to use the Metalik all the time, I think you should be fine if you alternate between fertilizers only and ferts plus Metalik.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Adi,

I just wanted to give you an update...

5 ml = 1 metric teaspoon, so when you add Metalik to your 50-liter buckets of watering solution, you can "shade" a little under 1 tsp. Please don't forget to give me the pH number of your tap water after you add the fertilizers for dilution.

While we're here, I'd like to bring up a matter of general growing practice in case you're not already aware of it. With desert cacti under pot cultivation, the roots should be allowed to go from wet to completely dry top-to-bottom before they're watered again. Some growers are able to feel the weight of their pots by hand so they know if their cacti should be watered or not. Can you feel the difference between wet and completely bone-dry mix in your pots? If you can, let this be your guide for a good watering schedule. You may already be doing it. If not, hand-weighing pots is something you'll have to develop a feel for, but with a little bit of time and practice, you'll get the hang of it more quickly than you might think. Given the size of your collection, weighing every single pot won't be practical, so weigh a few different pot sizes that represent what you have in the collection.
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Alright, so I've been watering my collections with the fert formula that has been proposed. The tap water has been treated with dechlorinator and this is the result (I'll give the documentation later today):
  • The tap water's original pH was 7.10 (it shifted between 7.00 to 7.10)
  • There are two phases of pH change in my water after the ferts were applied: at 0-30 minutes, it was pH 6.26; when I left them overnight, it became 6.86
I've planned to use METALIK fert next week so this session didn't use said fert, since at the time of fertilizing, there's no update on how much METALIK ferts I need to apply.

Now onto your latest post:
Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:45 pm Hi Adi,

I just wanted to give you an update...

5 ml = 1 metric teaspoon, so when you add Metalik to your 50-liter buckets of watering solution, you can "shade" a little under 1 tsp. Please don't forget to give me the pH number of your tap water after you add the fertilizers for dilution.

While we're here, I'd like to bring up a matter of general growing practice in case you're not already aware of it. With desert cacti under pot cultivation, the roots should be allowed to go from wet to completely dry top-to-bottom before they're watered again. Some growers are able to feel the weight of their pots by hand so they know if their cacti should be watered or not. Can you feel the difference between wet and completely bone-dry mix in your pots? If you can, let this be your guide for a good watering schedule. You may already be doing it. If not, hand-weighing pots is something you'll have to develop a feel for, but with a little bit of time and practice, you'll get the hang of it more quickly than you might think. Given the size of your collection, weighing every single pot won't be practical, so weigh a few different pot sizes that represent what you have in the collection.
Weighing pots before and after watering, in my collections, is only applicable to small ones - less than 15 cm in diameter - but since I potted all of them, I get to feel how light/heavy they are when they're dry or wet. Also, I got to visually judge any cacti that needs water, and often I get a small piece of tree branch and gently poke the cacti; if it's still firm, I can go easy with watering, if it yields, I'll water them straight up. For spineless cacti, I'll just gently squeeze them just to see if they're still firm enough or yield to pressure (this is how I also check any caudiciforms when they need water or not). Though, if you insist on weighing the pots, I've got it covered; I already got 'that feeling'. Light pots, dry. Heavy pots (when I grunt a bit while lifting them), wet.

To give you some context, I once do this experiment some time before I know this website to determine how fast my mix - scoria, pumice, and humus - dries out. The pots were about 10 - 20 cm. I let them dry out for a week and the smaller pots dried out about three to four days, and the bigger ones dried out about five or six days (though this result may vary depending on how much sunlight and wind enter my garden, as well as the weather and time of the year).

Also I use plastic pots, with various kinds of plastic materials. Shall I bring that to the conversation as well?
Fertilizing may vary
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Regarding tap water, pH fluctuation is normal, and small day-to-day fluctuations are expected. If the pH of your tap water is 7.0 one day and 7.1 the next, it tells us that you have very low calcium bicarbonate levels in the water -- that's good. You may want to take a few readings over the next week just to see if the fluctuations remain small (anything between 7.01 and 7.2 won't be significant enough to be concerned about). Here in the US, the pH of our tap water is higher in winter and summer than it is in fall and spring. Don't know if that would be your experience, but I highly recommend that you take seasonal pH readings just in case.

Since you provided me with all of the necessary data, my initial assessment is that you won't need to acidify the water for your acidic mix. Your "alkaline" mix is barely alkaline, but I'm inclined toward recommending a small amount of acidification just for that mix. Let me think about how we should approach this, and I'll get back to you later in the week.

With regard to watering frequency and schedules, it sounds like you're doing it right. A common mistake beginners make is to kill their cacti with kindness by watering too often -- you're definitely not a beginner. As far as plastic pots are concerned, IMO any type of nonporous pot is superior to porous clay pots in terms of healthy root growth. With that in mind, see this:

viewtopic.php?t=45833
Wiandry Adi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:18 amI've planned to use METALIK fert next week so this session didn't use said fert, since at the time of fertilizing, there's no update on how much METALIK ferts I need to apply.
1 metric teaspoon (5 ml) per 50 liters of water, although as I said in my latest post, you can "shade" a little under 1 tsp. If you don't want to use the Metalik all the time, I think you should be fine if you alternate between fertilizers only and ferts plus Metalik.
Wiandry Adi

Fertilizer dosage - the ultimate verdict?

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Alright, I guess it's settled then? I'll see the results within a week or two, so this is going to be a long way... though after viewing some of your posts, Steve, esp. with the before-after photos of your collections after getting low-P ferts, I have high hopes. In that case, I shall prepare my documentation of my garden and collections since some of us, esp. ohugal, have requested for it.

By the way, I have some questions:
  • May I still use my calcium nitrate-magnesium sulfate-potassium nitrate formula, since I'm not really certain about the Cal-Mag formula as well as not letting those ferts go to waste? (I can give it to my relative if necessary)
  • Just recently, my pumice supplier said they ran out of pumice, at least the granular (3-5 mm) form I often use, so in the meantime I have to find alternatives while waiting my supplier to restock. I saw some:
    • coarse terrazzo gravel
    • builder's gravel (no specific materials/components listed)
    • coarse white/black granite gravel
    • silica gravel (6/8 mesh)
    • hard clay gravels (something like akadama, though there are no info whether they're calcined, baked, or not).
    Which one do best? I see few folks on YouTube recommending granite gravel, in particular decomposed granite. I'm not really sure since I need more sources, but if so, I'll give granite a try.
  • Any thoughts on using hydrogen peroxide on watering/germinating seeds?
Fertilizing may vary
Wiandry Adi

Re: Fertilizer dosage - the ultimate verdict?

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Also, follow-up questions:
  • Any one here familiar with Bonsai Jack Gritty Mix, Lecuza Pon mix, and both mixes from East Coast Camanchaca? Will they be of good use in my garden since my mixes are partially inspired by them.
  • What are Turface/Turface MVP and chicken grit and why lots of American cactus/succulents/bonsai/xeriscape forum mentioned them a lot? Are they any good? Not that I'll get some, I'm just curious...
Fertilizing may vary
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Wiandry Adi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:51 amMay I still use my calcium nitrate-magnesium sulfate-potassium nitrate formula, since I'm not really certain about the Cal-Mag formula as well as not letting those ferts go to waste? (I can give it to my relative if necessary)
I'm not aware of that formula, so I'll need the following info:
  • Percentages of calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, and potassium nitrate.
  • Is this a liquid concentrate or a solid water-soluble fertilizer? If it's a solid, weigh the amount in 1/2 metric teaspoon and let me know what it is.
Don't use the calcium nitrate-magnesium sulfate-potassium nitrate formula unless and until I run some calculations. Calcium nitrate = Ca(NO3)2 and potassium nitrate = KNO3 -- the amount of nitrate N and K added to your Pak Tani, PROVIT, and Multiara could lead to a lower and more favorable amount of P in the NPK balance. If the Ca and Mg have the right balance, so much the better. However, the story has to be told through the ppm numbers in your watering solution, so A. I need to figure out how much you should dilute, B. determine if this changes the "recipe" I originally gave you, and C. determine if it'll actually work. Important to do the math and test the numbers before you commit, and I can help you on the math side. In the meantime, your cacti should be getting enough Ca and Mg through the hardness of your tap water.
Wiandry Adi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:51 amJust recently, my pumice supplier said they ran out of pumice, at least the granular (3-5 mm) form I often use, so in the meantime I have to find alternatives while waiting my supplier to restock.
You need porosity for water retention, and calcined clay granules should be an acceptable substitute for pumice.
Wiandry Adi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:51 amAny thoughts on using hydrogen peroxide on watering/germinating seeds?
I don't have any experience growing cacti from seed, so unfortunately I can't give you an answer. Best if you bring this up on the Grown From Seed forum:

viewforum.php?f=16

I'm intrigued by the possibility of adding the calcium nitrate-magnesium sulfate-potassium nitrate formula to your other 3 ferts. I'm in a time crunch workwise, but I hope to give you the results of my calculations before Saturday. Once I have the formula's percentages, I'll get on it as soon as I can.
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Wiandry Adi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:46 am The second one is phosphorus-free ratio, 3-0-2:
Here it is, although I forgot if I ever mentioned the magnesium sulfate one. I got a little mix-up in my memory ](*,) The left one is potassium nitrate, with 15% nitrate and 15% potassium oxide. The right one is the calcium nitrate, with 14.4% nitrate and 18.6% calcium from 26% calcium oxide. Both are granular in form.

The magnesium sulfate consists of 16% magnesium oxide (MgO; 9.6% elemental magnesium) and 13% sulfur (36% sulfur trioxide [SO3]). It's coarse crystalline in form.

I'll try measure them by weight and give the results. Shall I get the water pH too as well?

Also, if you need to name the ferts:
  • calcium nitrate: Karate
  • potassium nitrate: Pak Tani CPN
  • magnesium sulfate: Meroke MAG S
Fertilizing may vary
jerrytheplater

Re: Nice to meet you all from Indonesia (and an overview on my plant journey)

Post by jerrytheplater »

Adi, I see you are adding Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) to Calcium Nitrate (Ca(NO3)2)/Potassium Nitrate. Beware, you will get a reaction between the nitrates and sulfates producing insoluble Gypsum, Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4). Concentrations will determine how much react. Try your mixture in a clear container and look for a white powder dropping out of solution.

If you get Magnesium Nitrate, all will work. But then you are adding a lot of extra Nitrate. Depending on how much you use.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Wiandry Adi

Re: Fertilizer dosage: the ultimate verdict?

Post by Wiandry Adi »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:15 am Adi, I see you are adding Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) to Calcium Nitrate (Ca(NO3)2)/Potassium Nitrate. Beware, you will get a reaction between the nitrates and sulfates producing insoluble Gypsum, Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4). Concentrations will determine how much react. Try your mixture in a clear container and look for a white powder dropping out of solution.

If you get Magnesium Nitrate, all will work. But then you are adding a lot of extra Nitrate. Depending on how much you use.
Thanks for the outlook, Jerry! Well... if that's the case, if I can use those ferts independently (that means applying between the formula I've used and one of them interchangeably each week) then there's still hope for those ferts to be around, otherwise I'll give them to my relative or friends in need.

So the Cal-Mag quest continues...
Fertilizing may vary
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Wow, I'm glad we caught this in time -- Jerry knows a lot more about chemistry and chemical reactions than I ever will, and one of the reasons why it's great to have him on the forum.

Adi, if you're concerned about the possibility that your cacti aren't getting enough Ca and Mg from the hardness in your tap water, I'm sure there are a few other options we haven't pursued yet. Read this (and hopefully you won't end up having smoke come out of your ears :lol: )...

viewtopic.php?p=398320&hilit=gypsum+epiphytes#p398320

...and notice something Mike said -- "I don't think giving gypsum ( calcium sulphate ) would hurt any cactus even epiphytes." Compared to the Ca coming from your tap water, gypsum is a slow-release form of calcium. He recommends gypsum granules over powder because the Ca in granules is released over the course of months rather than weeks with gypsum powder. If I remember correctly, his granules are 1-3 mm. How much should you add to each pot? Is it better to apply the granules as a top dressing rather than digging them into the mix? Unfortunately those are questions I can't answer, but we should be able to figure them out. Regarding magnesium -- PROVIT Orange and Multiara GROWER both contain Mg (not sure about the Pak Tani), so you're covered there. Since you can't get a nitrogen-free Cal-Mag, I think gypsum granules will be the simplest and most effective option for you. If gypsum changes the pH of your water-saturated mix at all, it'll bring the pH down a little bit -- making the need for acidifying your tap water with the "alkaline" mix a lot less likely.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Update -- it might not be a bad idea if you test the hardness of your tap water for Ca and Mg content. From Mrs. Green's "Astrophytum help needed" thread on the Cultivation forum:
jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:53 pm...if you want to check your water hardness and alkalinity easily and cheaper than a lab, go to a store selling tropical fish. Test kits are available for lots of water parameters. You can even buy them online. Tetra is one brand.

Tetra- look for GH test kits for total calcium and magnesium values. Look for KH for carbonate hardness or alkalinity. https://www.tetra.net/en-eu/products/nu ... c065f56fff
Always good to know exactly what's in your tap water. Hmmmmm, maybe I should do that with my tap water too.
Wiandry Adi

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:15 pm Wow, I'm glad we caught this in time -- Jerry knows a lot more about chemistry and chemical reactions than I ever will, and one of the reasons why it's great to have him on the forum.

Adi, if you're concerned about the possibility that your cacti aren't getting enough Ca and Mg from the hardness in your tap water, I'm sure there are a few other options we haven't pursued yet. Read this (and hopefully you won't end up having smoke come out of your ears :lol: )...

viewtopic.php?p=398320&hilit=gypsum+epiphytes#p398320

...and notice something Mike said -- "I don't think giving gypsum ( calcium sulphate ) would hurt any cactus even epiphytes." Compared to the Ca coming from your tap water, gypsum is a slow-release form of calcium. He recommends gypsum granules over powder because the Ca in granules is released over the course of months rather than weeks with gypsum powder. If I remember correctly, his granules are 1-3 mm. How much should you add to each pot? Is it better to apply the granules as a top dressing rather than digging them into the mix? Unfortunately those are questions I can't answer, but we should be able to figure them out. Regarding magnesium -- PROVIT Orange and Multiara GROWER both contain Mg (not sure about the Pak Tani), so you're covered there. Since you can't get a nitrogen-free Cal-Mag, I think gypsum granules will be the simplest and most effective option for you. If gypsum changes the pH of your water-saturated mix at all, it'll bring the pH down a little bit -- making the need for acidifying your tap water with the "alkaline" mix a lot less likely.
Noted! Although there is something quite 'funny': granular gypsum... sounds alien to me. Maybe because I never see it being sold here or am I missing something? All I know is that locally, gypsum applied as fertilizers or soil conditioner almost always (judging by there is a minuscule chance of granular gypsum existing in Indonesia) in powder form. Though, if this turns to be just right, gypsum are also used to make sculptures for kindergarten/preschool projects in which I think if I can crush those untouched gypsum statues, that'll do the trick (again, if that turns to be right; do granular gypsum have additional ingredient to stabilize their form?).

Worry not, I'm doing my research at the moment, and it seems India makes a lot of them. My, this means if I have to get those, I have to import them.
Steve Johnson wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:13 am Update -- it might not be a bad idea if you test the hardness of your tap water for Ca and Mg content. From Mrs. Green's "Astrophytum help needed" thread on the Cultivation forum:
jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:53 pm...if you want to check your water hardness and alkalinity easily and cheaper than a lab, go to a store selling tropical fish. Test kits are available for lots of water parameters. You can even buy them online. Tetra is one brand.

Tetra- look for GH test kits for total calcium and magnesium values. Look for KH for carbonate hardness or alkalinity. https://www.tetra.net/en-eu/products/nu ... c065f56fff
Always good to know exactly what's in your tap water. Hmmmmm, maybe I should do that with my tap water too.
Also noted! I'll get one some time next month after I learn how to use them + if there are alternatives.

My city's tap water provider do have water quality test, but it's relatively expensive and it's kind of intended for anyone who will use the results for commercial or scientific purposes.
Fertilizing may vary